237 replies to this topic

#221 L. Sparks

L. Sparks

Paramedic

• EMS
  • 57 posts
  • Character Hometown:Los Angeles, CA

Posted 30 August 2017 - 12:26 AM

*I walk into the bay, black backpack on my back and insulated coffee mug in my hand. I pause for a second, and take a deep breath. I think to myself 'Great, my first partner here is a supervisor! Okay...well no sensing in crying about it, I hope she's chill'. I continue to walk towards Medic 1. I look around and see everyone else prepping their rigs. Not a familiar face in the house, I mean why would there be? I didn't even do my training time in this area.*

*I finally approach Medic 1. I open the door and place my backpack on the passenger seat and my coffee cup in the cup holder. I open up the box, get in, and start looking around.*

'Okay, we got gloves...box of small, medium, and 2 boxes of larges. 1 box of XLs...ok that's good.'

*I look around the cabinets and count everything. As I was always told back in LA...'Check the gear, because it's YOUR rear'.*

'What? Where the heck are the bastard liters of saline?' I say to myself.

*I look around in every cabinet. I don't see any*

'How was this unit in service without any saline bags?'

*I write it down on my list of needed supplies and move on*

mpm.png

Paramedic Logan Sparks

Medic - 1

#222 A. Breslin

A. Breslin

EMS Lieutenant

• Commissioned Fire

• 836 posts
  • LocationArizona
  • Character Hometown:Scottsdale

Posted 30 August 2017 - 12:53 AM

*Flicking out my cigarette I walk back to M1*

'New guy are we good to go?'

edolt.png
Paramedic Lieutenant Alyssa Breslin
EMS Duty Officer (EDO-1)

#223 L. Sparks

L. Sparks

Paramedic

• EMS
  • 57 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 01:08 AM

*I look up*

'Oh...yea', I reply half startled, 'we just need saline bags. There are literally zero in here.'

'...and the name's Logan', I say as I zip up the jump bag. 'Narcs are checked out and locked away.' I say as I jump out of the back of the ambulance. 'I'll get the saline and call us in and available.'

'You're good to go right?' I say to Breslin....'and I hope you're driving because I'm still getting my bearings around here, and would prefer not to get us lost on our first shift together.' I say half seriously and half jokingly.

mpm.png

Paramedic Logan Sparks

Medic - 1

#224 A. Breslin

A. Breslin

EMS Lieutenant

• Commissioned Fire

• 836 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 30 August 2017 - 01:30 AM

'I'm Driving. And I'm Alyssa. Just to be clear I'm your supervisor not your instructor, your preceptor or FTO'

*I say as I lean against the box*

'I know your a new medic and want to get all the glory calls but i'm telling you this now. Your on my truck in my station. I hate working with new medics. What medic program did you come from and who was your preceptor during rotations?'

edolt.png
EMS Duty Officer (EDO-1)

#225 L. Sparks

L. Sparks

Paramedic

• EMS
  • 57 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 01:55 AM

*I was taken aback by her tone of voice*

'I did medic school back home in LA and did my internship with LA County Fire. I got hired here after I got my P-Card and I did my orientation ride outs with Lesner over at Station 6.'

*I wanted so badly to add: 'is that good enough for ya?' but I knew better than to mouth off on the first day. There's a time and a place.*

*Great. First day and I get stuck with Lt. Bitchlin. I really hope she lightens up because I didn't travel some 2000+ miles away from home to get bitched at.*

'Well, if it makes you feel any better, this isn't my first rodeo. I may be a new medic, but I've worked 911 as an EMT for five years back home.' I said reassuringly.

'...and trust me...I'm not trying to gain any glory. I don't nearly make enough for that.'

*I walk to the supply area, and grab some saline bags. While in the supply room, I make a phone call, place us available, and walk back to Medic 1.*

mpm.png

Paramedic Logan Sparks

Medic - 1

#226 M. Galligano Jr.

M. Galligano Jr.

Firefighter

• Engine
  • 1,187 posts
  • LocationNew Hartford, New York.
  • Character Hometown:Los Angeles, CA.

Posted 30 August 2017 - 02:04 AM

*I walk into the bay from the back room and set up my gear by the truck company as I listen to the medics bitch at one another.*

mgalliganocard.png

e11ff.png

Firefighter/EMT-B Michael J. Galligano Jr.

Engine 11

#227 A. Breslin

A. Breslin

EMS Lieutenant

• Commissioned Fire

• 836 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 30 August 2017 - 02:11 AM

'They actually let Lesner be an FTO. I thought you had to show up to sober to train people. That prick used to get drunk beat his wife got divorced and drinks a fifth every to drown his sorrows. The only thing you can learn from Lesner is how to die of cirrhosis before the age of 50'

*Sparks walks away. Coming from the west coast I have gotten a distaste from Fire based EMS. Dealing with LA area medics I know they tend to be paragods. Preferring local medics due to the our standards then california standards. Even my Arizona cert holds more weight then a Cali cert*

edolt.png
EMS Duty Officer (EDO-1)

#228 L. Sparks

L. Sparks

Paramedic

• EMS
  • 57 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 02:37 AM

*I have to admit, Lesner was less than a stellar FTO. The bitch switch is on, and I hope it's not stuck. What is her problem? I came here to get out of the arm pit of California for a chance to be an actual single-role paramedic. I could have stayed at home, worked as a firefighter, and made bank, but its the medical stuff that interests me. You couldn't pay me a million dollars to run into a burning building.*

*I walk back to Medic 1 and start to put the saline bags away*

*Awkward Silence*

*I take a deep breath*

*F$%# it, I need to break this thick freaking ice*

*I jump out of the back and go back up to Beslin*

'You know....I don't know what you're thinking that I am, but I assure you I'm not here to intrude upon your rig or department. I just want to come to work, make a difference, and go home safely at the end of the day. I'm not expecting you to hold my hand or wipe my nose. The ink may still be a bit damp on my medic license, but I'm sure you remember what your first shift was like. ....and you're right. You're my senior and my supervisor, and I'm not looking for you to be my friend, only my partner. If there's some reason that you think this isn't going to work out, I'm sure you can make this whole problem just disappear.'

*I pause quickly*

'I just want to get through today, and I don't think we're making it any easier on ourselves right now.'

*I turn and start to walk away. After a few steps I turn back around*

...'and for the record....Lesner was an a@#hole. He came to work drunk on my last shift.'

mpm.png

Paramedic Logan Sparks

Medic - 1

#229 A. Breslin

A. Breslin

EMS Lieutenant

• Commissioned Fire

• 836 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 30 August 2017 - 03:14 AM

*I walk over to the cab of M1 I remember my first shift was with a company that I was familiar with and my FTO was also a medic who I had worked with a few times so It cant be an easy thing to do. However I have no desire to keep this guy from killing a pt while he pads his resume for a fire department job*

edolt.png
EMS Duty Officer (EDO-1)

#230 J. Hannahan

J. Hannahan

Lieutenant

• Inactive
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationShiloh County
  • Character Hometown:Bronx, NY

Posted 30 August 2017 - 04:26 PM

This isn't so different from Phoxlind. Less units though I guess.

*Shrugging my shoulders, I walk out to the bay and set my gear up outside of C seat. Opening the door, I throw my jacket onto the cab floor and make sure it stays.*

Staaay....alright.

*I get my turnout pants the way I want them and place my nomex into my boot. Backing up, I look at my little setup then hop inside. Perusing the cab, I grab my bottle and start my checks. The rings buzzing right into my ear as usual. After clipping the tank back in, I hear the tones for RA-1. I look back at Ewan and Frank and smile then I refocus my attention back to the cab. As soon as my boot hits the floor, Another set of tones drop, making my heart skip a beat or two.*

Fack.

*I look back at Medic 1 and then refocus myself.*

County is at it again.

*I mutter to myself. One by one, I begin checking the compartments making sure everything runs.*
<p class="bbc_center">Firefighter</p>
<p class="bbc_center">Ladder 31 Hookman</p>

#231 E. Sjostrom

E. Sjostrom

EMT

• EMS
  • 792 posts
  • Character Hometown:Washington D.C.

Posted 25 May 2018 - 06:52 AM

*Finding myself with some free time with M1 washed and restocked I step outside of the station to have a cig.  Plugging my cell's headphones into my ears I hit the play button on my phone as I head to the side of the building.  Pulling out my zippo I sit down with my back up against the wall and flick the lighter's lid open; igniting a flame.  With the butt of the cig between my lips I bring the flame to the other end of the cig and take a good drag.  The smoke from the drag flows down my throat as smoothly as it does when I exhale it out of my body.  This is a nice break.  As the music plays I check out facebook on my phone looking through photos of Eliska that Martin posted earlier.  Can't believe she's over 1 years old alright, she's growing up, walking, talking, and finding trouble.  It really puts a smile on my face as I take another drag of smoke from my cig and exhale.*

memt.png

EMT Erika Sjostrom

Medic 2

#232 L. Sparks

L. Sparks

Paramedic

• EMS
  • 57 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 07:32 AM

The medic unit back into the bay.

'This 48 hour shift was a mistake.' I mutter to myself as I get out of the passenger side of the medic unit.

I feel like, and probably even look like a zombie; yet somehow the caffeine keeps me going. This is the first time I've seen the the station in close to 9 hours. I'm on the back half of the 48 hour shift, and have already done 22 transports. This is unreal.

Deep down inside, I pray that the calm will last long enough for me to get some semblance of rest. I look at my phone. 7% battery. I need to charge it.

I head out of the bay and to my car, and grab my phone charger and cable from the front. As I walk back in and see Sjostrom, enjoying a cancer stick. 

'Sup Sjostrom?' I say as I pass. I stop at the doorway back into the station. 'You guys getting unbelievably loved by dispatch today too?'

mpm.png

Paramedic Logan Sparks

Medic - 1

#233 E. Sjostrom

E. Sjostrom

EMT

• EMS
  • 792 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 07:55 AM

*Hearing the muffled voice calling out to me over the song I'm listening to I pull my head up from my phone to see that Sparks is back.  Taking out one earpiece out of my ears I don't even bother hitting pause, leaving Blind Guardian's Imagination from the Otherside playing out silently in the background, as I move my lips to respond as I exhale my recent drag.*

'Not much, enjoying the calm while it lasts before dispatch does end up loving us again.  Last one involved an old civic and a moose in Essex.  What about you?  How's it going?'

memt.png

EMT Erika Sjostrom

Medic 2

#234 L. Sparks

L. Sparks

Paramedic

• EMS
  • 57 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 06:42 PM

'Man, I'm running on fumes and energy drinks at this point.' I reply half joking and half serious.

I look at my watch. 'I'm....26 hours into my 48, and have already done 22 transports. This medic shortage they got going on is killer.'

I pause for a second. 'but with all the overtime they're offering up right now...I can't complain.'

'...anyway....I'm going to see if I can catch some Zs before the beating continues.' I turn around to walk back inside.

mpm.png

Paramedic Logan Sparks

Medic - 1

#235 E. Sjostrom

E. Sjostrom

EMT

• EMS
  • 792 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 01:55 AM

'Well, good luck there and sleep well.'

*Bidding a farewell to Sparks as he goes to sleep I remain seated in my spot as I finish my cig.  He's right though, this medic shortage is a pain.  Hopefully we'll get some fresh blood in EMS soon.*

'Wonder what happened to the others that used to be here.'

*I quietly say to myself as I'm now thinking of the past.*

memt.png

EMT Erika Sjostrom

Medic 2

#236 A. Breslin

A. Breslin

EMS Lieutenant

• Commissioned Fire

• 836 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 26 May 2018 - 07:00 AM

*Walking out of the kitchen with my iced tea and hearing the tones drop.*

'FUCK!.'

*I see Sparks do a 180 as he walks back to the truck, Just as happy as I am after our 20 something job in this shift. Erika crushes her cigarette with her boot as she gets in the BLS truck to wait for Jackson.*

'We need to hire more fucking people! '

edolt.png
EMS Duty Officer (EDO-1)

#237 E. Sjostrom

E. Sjostrom

EMT

• EMS
  • 792 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 07:12 AM

'Well, now the calm is over'

*Hearing the tones drop I let go of my cig and stomp it out with my boot as I make my way to the truck.*

memt.png

EMT Erika Sjostrom

Medic 2

#238 N. LeBlanc

N. LeBlanc

Lieutenant

• Commissioned Fire

• 3,579 posts
  • LocationJefferson Parish, Louisiana
  • Character Hometown:Metairie, Louisiania

Posted 19 June 2018 - 02:36 AM

*As we back into the station, I hit the PTT in my headset and call us back in quarters.  I step down from the truck with the rest of the guys and set my structural gear up on the engine again.  I sigh and then head back to my office.  I grab my keys and head out to the gear room on the side of the bay and head in.  I unlock the spare storage and hold it open while the guys grab their stuff.  I never really understood why we kept TECGEN under lock and key, but whatever.  They pull everything that they need before I get my own stuff and bring it over to the engine.  I see that the guys are making room for their stuff in the back, so I take mine and toss it up on the doghouse since I probably won't use it anyway.  I step down and walk back over to my office to start working on the paperwork.  I see Miller finishing up with his stuff and looking for where to go.  I also see the rest of the guys standing around, so I look at the rest of the crew.*

'All right, mid shift adjustments.  Dave, Aaron, keep your seats.  Miller, take the jump seat.  You're going to play plug man.  Dave, take the nozzle, and Garbus, you're going in with him and the irons.  Miller, you and I will form a second attack team if we need one.  Work?'

*I really don't wait for an answer like I normally do because I'm still a little upset about the phone call that I just got.  I sigh and walk into my office and shut the door, something else that I normally don't do*

'Asshole.'

*I pull up Firehouse on my computer and start filling out the report.*

Posted Image
Posted Image
Lieutenant Nicholas LeBlanc, Paramedic, Search and Rescue, HazMat, Diver

Engine 11

Posted ImagePosted Image

"You might be a firefighter if your entire wardrobe is t-shirts your friends gave you from their

departments for your birthday, Christmas, anniversary, etc."

-Unknown

"If Prometheus was worthy of the wrath of heaven for kindling the first fire upon earth, how

ought all the gods honor the men who make it their professional business to put it out?"

- John Godfrey Saxe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users