257 replies to this topic

#241 E. Sjostrom

E. Sjostrom

EMT

• EMS
  • 811 posts
  • Character Hometown:Washington D.C.

Posted 16 October 2018 - 11:00 PM

*After restocking M3 while Jackson looked the rig over I head on over to where Breslin is.  Pulling out a cigarette from my pack, I lean up against the wall as I place the cig between my lips and light it.*

memt.png

EMT Erika Sjostrom

Medic 3

#242 R.Dunne

R.Dunne

Paramedic

• EMS
  • 13 posts
  • Character Hometown:BFE

Posted 17 October 2018 - 12:45 AM

*I walk out to the bay, looking for what will hopefully be my usual truck. My steps are measured and and even, my boots making an even thump on the floor with each step. I fiddle with my vape in my pocket while I walk through the bay. My eyes fix on the ambulance, and I make my way over, adjusting the straps of my bags hanging over my shoulder.*

*Opening the door to the cab of my truck, I set my personal jump bag on the ground before taking a measured step up. I set my backpack on the seat, taking out my gloves, stethoscope, and clipboard out before tucking the bag behind 'my' seat. My box of gloves goes on the floor snugged up against the seat, and hanging my stethoscope on the handle next to the door of the passenger's seat. I power on both the dispatch terminal and the charting computer, checking connectivity and power to both devices before testing the truck radio.*

*I step carefully out of the truck and hoist my jump bag, walking around and checking each compartment, both making sure I have all of my equipment and that I know where everything is. As I reach the 5th compartment I pull the supplied bag off the truck and set it down, sliding my own into place.*

*I move the agency's bag away from the truck, setting it against the wall and out of the way before heading back to the truck. Stepping back into the back of the truck, I slide the lifepak out of the cabinet and set it on the back of the stretcher, powering it on and initiating the user test. I eyeball the batteries quickly, before checking  the pockets, making sure I have spare paper and battery, along with capnography and plenty of electrodes. Once the machine finishes its self check I power it off.*

'Well these are redundant.'

*I mutter as I choose to ignore the o2 and airway bags, electing to pull out the drug bag. I unlock the bag with my key, scanning through all the drugs and checking the dates on all of them. Locking them back up, I start going through the compartments, rearranging a few things so that everything is where it should be. Once everything in the truck is right I step out, shutting the door behind me. Walking with my even measured steps, I walk over to where my shift mates are smoking and take out my vape, enjoying the taste of the juice while they talk.*

#243 A. Breslin

A. Breslin

EMS Lieutenant

• Commissioned Fire

• 848 posts
  • LocationArizona
  • Character Hometown:Scottsdale

Posted 17 October 2018 - 12:07 PM

*Jackson starts screaming about some hillbilly nonsense from across the parking lot i tune him out. Erika walks over to smoke with me like we used to do in the good old days.*

'I have no idea what he's talking about sometimes. Whenever he talks about Anything to do with anything at home I just assume it's about incest and meth'

*My attention is immediately diverted to easily the most in depth rig check I have ever seen. From the department email I had heard this new guy had rode with lesner. Who is a burnt out alcoholic who for some odd reason is allowed to train new hires. I know for a fact that Lesner did not teach this person to do a regular check with that much scrutiny, from what I remember when I worked a shift with him the only thing he is concerned about is not running into someone who smells the gin on his breath.

I tap erikas arm and gesture towards M2 so she could watch as well. As I continue to watch the new hire go through all the compartments and now begins replace bags I am mesmerized. He walks around to the cab and I hear the radio key up and do a radio check much to my delight and amusement. At this point this rig check was extensive. To the point where I could diagnose something from this.

After a few minutes of this I hear the door close and see the new hire walking over to us. He had an unusual gait with that combined with the exhaustive rig check I bite my lower lip to stifle a laugh. Erika sees this and shoots me a look.*

'You forgot to check the oil level and reverse lights'

*I say wanting to see if he does a 180 to go check those as well*

edolt.png
Paramedic Lieutenant Alyssa Breslin
EMS Duty Officer (EDO-1)

#244 R.Dunne

R.Dunne

Paramedic

• EMS
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 12:32 PM

*I hear the Lieutenant mention something about forgetting to check reverse lights and oil and raise my gaze to fix on a point just past her, so that I'm looking in her direction.*

'No, I didn't forget.'

*I don't elaborate, ignoring the urge to give more information and instead take another long draw of my vape. I don't check fluids until I turn the truck on, and I don't turn the truck on until my partner is out and ready to go. It's the right order to do things, and I don't bother to explain the right way to everyone anymore. I stop trying to focus on her and look at the ground, since the ground doesn't get nasty when you stare at it. I rub my finger over the textured button on my vape pen, intermittently taking long drags of the juice and glancing at the two women as they talk.*

#245 A. Breslin

A. Breslin

EMS Lieutenant

• Commissioned Fire

• 848 posts
  • LocationArizona
  • Character Hometown:Scottsdale

Posted 18 October 2018 - 01:58 AM

*Getting a feeling of unease from Dunne. Like the lights are on but nobodies home. I shoot Erika a look.*

'So we should be getting the replacement trucks for M3 and 4 soon'

*I say trying to break the tension.*

'So most likely I'm going to set them up as BLS. These are going to be van type fronts to save money'

edolt.png
Paramedic Lieutenant Alyssa Breslin
EMS Duty Officer (EDO-1)

#246 L. Sparks

L. Sparks

Paramedic

• EMS
  • 69 posts
  • Character Hometown:Los Angeles, CA

Posted 18 October 2018 - 03:13 AM

Crew Quaters:

A door slams in the hallway and wakes me up. The station has come to life. Shift change is in full swing, people are running around doing station duties and morning check outs. People walking up and down the hall, doors opening, closing, opening, closing, OPENING, CLOSING, SLAMMING, CHATTING. Ugh! Why are people so loud!? I roll over in bed trying to ignore it. I tried. I tried so very hard to fall back into a deep slumber, but then the final straw was broken. A thunderous rumble of a hunger pang hit me, making me feel almost nauseous. Well, looks like I'm staying up, at least for now. I turn over facing away from the wall and grab my phone on the night stand. I got 2.5 hours of sleep. I guess that will have to suffice for now. Before committing to actually get up, I check the work schedule for the day on my phone. The light from the screen lights up the pitch black room.

'Fuck yes' I say to myself. We're fully staffed. Hopefully that means I'll get some actual down time later.

*I get up from bed and my feet instinctively land inside my boots. I stand up and pull my pants up and fasten them around my waist. I get up and follow the faint rays of light coming from under the M1 Crew Quarters door. I open the door and am blinded by the light. With my eye's squinting I reach over next to the door and grab my department hat that's hanging on a hook. I step out into the hallway, put my hat on, and walk down the hall. The M1 Crew Quarters door closes behind me. I hear all the noise coming from the Bay Area so I head that way, rubbing the sleep from my eyes as I do so.

Bay Area:

Once in the Bay I take a look around. I see Breslin & Sjostrom and walk over.

I clear my throat to clear the morning gunk away before I speak.

'Good morning' I say to both of them.

*I look at Breslin*

'So you'll never guess who I had the pleasure of working the last 24 hours with yesterday....your old friend Stanley.' I say to her, knowing full well that she's been trying for the past year, unsuccessfully I might add, to get him terminated.

'Its been a minute since I last had the pleasure of working with him, but he still manages to impress me. Just when I thought he couldn't get any bigger...he pulls it off. I swear, next time I see him, I no lie don't think he'll fit in the cab anymore.' I pause. 'We had a call on the third floor of an apartment, homeboy about keeled over half way up. Like, he was just absurdly lazy last time I worked with him, but I can see now what you mean when you say that he's a liability.'

*I look around and notice the new face, and immediately know what was transpiring before I arrived. I smile.*

'You're not hounding the new guy are you?' I say to Breslin jokingly. 'We kind of need him to stick around.'

*I look at Dunne*

'Careful with this one. She bites.' I say to him jokingly.

'I'm Logan.' I say as I extend my hand out to Dunne.

mpm.png

Paramedic Logan Sparks

Medic - 1

#247 E. Sjostrom

E. Sjostrom

EMT

• EMS
  • 811 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 03:41 AM

*As Breslin observes the new hire doing his checks on M2 I just stay quiet and focus on smoking my cigarette.  Occasionally I'll take glances at him myself, particularly when Alyssa indicates that he's doing something, but for the most part I just don't care.  When Breslin brings up that we're about to get new vans to replace M3 and M4 soon I start to open my mouth to respond but stop when Sparks come out.  As he starts chatting I take a drag from my cig and realize that I'm done with it.  Tossing the butt on the ground I stomp it out and consider having another one or going to bed.  Didn't get much sleep last night because Eliska kept waking me and Martin up for various reasons until we just let her sleep in our bed.  From there what kept me awake were the random kicks to the back from a toddler.*

'Kid's going to be a soccer player... I swear...'

*I accidentally say my thoughts out loud to myself.*

memt.png

EMT Erika Sjostrom

Medic 3

#248 R.Dunne

R.Dunne

Paramedic

• EMS
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 05:50 PM

*I look up and notice another new face approaching. As he remarks about the Lieutenant's propensity for "biting", I nod, filing the information away for later reference. He introduces himself as Logan and extends his hand, presumably for me to shake it. I grasp his hand, shaking it once firmly while subtly flapping my other hand against my pant leg.*

'Hello. My name is Rory Dunne.'

*I step back and look around. My partner should be here by now. Waiting around like this without being available isn't right. I shuffle back and forth, trying to decide if I'll finish my check without my partner or continue to wait. Neither one is right but other people don't understand my right. I shrug and lean back against the wall, still slowly flapping my hand behind my leg.*

#249 S. Brooke

S. Brooke

Paramedic

• EMS
  • 116 posts
  • Character Hometown:Stillwater, Oklahoma

Posted 20 October 2018 - 04:21 AM

*Once we get our assignments, I go over to the bathroom and take a nice and healthy dump.  After a few minutes, I finish up, wash my hands, and head down to the bays.  At roll call they said that I had the new guy, so I'll have to introduce myself to them.  I guess its fitting, considering that I've been running at different stations for the past few months.  I head down to the guys and say hello.  At a lull in conversation, which it seems like there is a big lull, I pop in.*

'Hey guys.  Long time no see.'

*I look around, knowing that I've cut in, but whatever.  I need to scope out my partner.  I see the guy looking down at the pavement, which I assume is the Rory guy.*

'Rory?'

*He looks up, and I nod.*

'Hey, I'm Sarah.'

*The two of us break away from the group because I want to finish checking everything if Dunne didn't and I want to know what he checked.*

mpm.png

Paramedic Sarah Brooke

Medic 1

#250 N. LeBlanc

N. LeBlanc

Lieutenant

• Commissioned Fire

• 3,609 posts
  • Character Hometown:Home

Posted 20 October 2018 - 05:40 AM

*Once we get the shifts out, we go and start our normal chores, plus the new ones with getting the new truck in service.  I grab the check sheet that they gave us with what was supposed to be on the truck. The Pierce rep supposedly verified it with them when they picked the truck up.  I saw it before they delivered it, but it didn’t have equipment. I climb into the back of the truck and start checking everything in the back of the cab. I look over the hand tools and all of the fire equipment in the cab before I check everything else in the cab.  Then, I step down and start going through everything else. Some of the tools and things are still in their packaging, so I pull my Leatherman out and cut off some of the tie-wraps and other packaging materials before I cut the tape with the knife. The boxes get put on the ground where I can get them once we get everything in service.  Since Kyle’s driving, I have him mark things off as I pull them out of the compartments. As we get through the compartments, I turn to him.*

‘All right, let’s rack that bumper line.’

*He nods, so I grab three red 1 ¾” rolls that are in the bumper tray.  We flake those out before we start to rack it in a scorpion load. I walk out so that I’m standing perpendicular to the front of the truck and cut the roll.  Then I unroll the hose out straight along the ground, holding the female coupling. I go behind the Q and then I hook the coupling to the discharge on the bumper tray.  I start to build up the first stack all the way against the cab of the engine. When I get to the male coupling at the end of the line, I get Kyle to roll out another 50’.  I make sure to make my first dog ear on the edge of the tray before I take Kyle’s male coupling and I start building another stack in the middle of the tray up against the other stack.  I also make sure that the male coupling is in the middle of the front stack portion. Once I get that loaded, I couple the two stacks that I’ve already built together. While I fold the dog ear over the first stack, I take the last 50’ section that Kyle just rolled out and I start to stack the front section.  I couple the other two and then I complete stacking it. Once that’s done, I take the brand fog nozzle and I couple it together. I take the bale and I open and close it several times, trying to get the stiffness out. Then I spin the tip quickly to loosen that. While the rest of the guys work on the rest of truck, I walk back to the other side of the floor and over to the engine and I open up my door and look inside.  We’ve got everything that we can get out. The truck is going to be a spare somewhere, so we might still be seeing it again, depending on what happens. I walk around the truck before I get to the back where no one is. I take a deep breath and start what I guess is a ritual of mine. I do the Sign of the Cross and place my hand on the truck before I start talking quietly.

‘God, thank you for this engine.  Thank you for keeping all of us safe while responding to the numerous incidents that we did on this truck.   Thank you for all of the great firefighters who spent time riding this truck. Thank you for the lives that it it helped us to save.’

‘I pray that we may save as many lives with our new truck as we were with this one.  I ask that with your help, we may continue to be safe and successful. I pray that you protect all firefighters who ride this apparatus.  Amen.’

*I do the sign of the cross again and sigh as I walk away.  The guys are at this point looking at the 2” with questioning looks, so I figure that I’ll answer.*

‘So we’re going to have some new preconnects on this rig.  We’re using 2” because it is just as maneuverable as 1 ¾”, but it has a lot less friction loss and can flow a whole lot more water.  And for those of you who know me at all, I’m a big proponent of big water on big fire. And modern fires are big fires. We’re using the fog nozzles on these lines because we can have the fog pattern for hydraulic ventilation as well as for steam conversion.  Now I’m sure that I won’t be the nozzle man, but please, keep it to a straight stream for the lack of air entrainment. We’re doing Minuteman loads for the 2” lines and flat load for the 2 ½” on the bottom. Sound good?'

*The guys nod as they go around to the rest of the truck, checking everything. I do the same thing to make sure that all of the hose loads are right and the right nozzles are mounted. While they do that, I bend down and start racking up the high rise packs.  I start with the 2 1/2" since it's our main high rise line.  I grab a can of spray paint and put it next to me so that I can mark the line at the appropriate places.  I head out onto the apron and mark off the appropriate distance, like the 32 inches from the female coupling to start making the folds.  Next, I walk the pack all the way out and bend it back on itself.  I mark off a four inch section right around the fold and then paint that so that we know where to pull down a hallway.  Once it's done, I hold it over again and I mark it in two places with the 12' mark in case we need to make a W shaped load in a short hallway.  Once I'm done, I walk the line out again and fold the pack.  When I get to the male coupling, I couple it to the female coupling and then I back the slack down to the other side and loop it past the last fold.  I head over to the hose strap containers and I get them and fold the pack, with two straps on the male side and one of the female side.  I do it again for another pack before I start to do the nozzle section.  When I'm done with those, I carry the two non nozzle sections back to the squad and I carry the nozzle section next.  Once we're done, I head back to make sure that the guys have everything done.  When they do, I key the mic.*

"Squad 7 to 911, Squad 7's available."

nleblanc1126.png

e11lt.png
Lieutenant Nicholas LeBlanc, Paramedic, Search and Rescue, HazMat, Diver

Squad 7

service4.pngedu1.png

"You might be a firefighter if your entire wardrobe is t-shirts your friends gave you from their

departments for your birthday, Christmas, anniversary, etc."

-Unknown

"If Prometheus was worthy of the wrath of heaven for kindling the first fire upon earth, how

ought all the gods honor the men who make it their professional business to put it out?"

- John Godfrey Saxe

#251 R.Dunne

R.Dunne

Paramedic

• EMS
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 08:38 AM

*I look up when I hear someone call my name and I am relieved. My partner is finally here and I can finish checking the truck. I break away from the group with my even steps and begin walking back towards the truck. I feel compelled to introduce myself though obviously this... Sarah.. knows who I am.*

'Hello. My name is Rory Dunne.'

*My voice is flat, though I hardly notice it. I stop at the driver's door before addressing my partner.*

'We need to check the lights and fluids. They don't get checked until the engine is warm.'

*I still for the life of me remember who told me that; I never thought to ask why but it just is the way things are done. I open the door and climb in, starting up the engine and cycling through emergency lights and break lights, making sure all of our lighting is functional as Sarah walks around the truck.*

#252 L. Cook

L. Cook

Probationary Firefighter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Character Hometown:Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Posted 21 October 2018 - 03:50 AM

*After being told assignments, or at the very least riding positions, I head out to the bay area along with others.  Briefly checking out the truck, which the company apparently just got today, I take note of where I'll be sitting and head on over to the Lieutenant.  It's a bit late for this, I know, but it's time to introduce myself.*

'Well, I know it's a bit late for this but hello, I'm Landon Cook, just starting out here today.'

Probationary Firefighter

Landon Cook

#253 N. LeBlanc

N. LeBlanc

Lieutenant

• Commissioned Fire

• 3,609 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 05:15 AM

*I stand behind the guys as they check the truck, both to make sure that they don't have any questions and also to help become more familiar with the truck.  While they're doing that, I notice Cook approach me.*

'Hey Cook, I'm Nicholas.  Kyle's the driver, Garbus, and Dave are the backstops, and Miller's driving the TSU.'

*I point out each of the guys as I introduce them to Cook before I go and grab his stuff.*

'I think they dropped off your stuff last tour in the gear room, so hang on a second.'

*I walk over to the other side of the floor where I fish out my work keys from one of my back pockets before I open up the room.  I flip the lights on and I see a gear bag on the ground.  I grab one of the handles on the side and lift it up so that I can see the little business card size name plate and I see Cook's name listed.  I grab the handle and I carry it out with me.  The door locks behind me as I hand him the bag.*

'Check that, make sure everything's in there.  You might have to wait to get a shield because I don't know if they're putting the new helmet shields in there anymore.  I know that Chief Golden had to drop them off last shift, but you're might be in there.'

*As he goes through the bag, I watch and try to provide some good advice.*

'So you should have your turnout coat and pants in there, helmet, boots, two hoods, and two pairs of gloves.  You might want to get some extrication gloves.  Firefighting sales over in Oxnard sells some good ones.  I've got Dragon FIre's, but I hear good things about HexArmor.  Also, get a pair of wire cutters, preferably spring loaded without a locking mechanism, and a pair of tin snips for entrapment.  You'll also want to think about webbing.  I use a red 30' section looped off with an overhand knot for hasty harnesses and a 12' section of orange for hose straps.  If you do that, get a NFPA locking carabineer for 'em.  Since we're playing both engine and RIT work, some door chocks wouldn't be a bad idea.  I'd also recommend a light for your helmet and a light for your coat.'

*As Cook walks back toward the rig to put his stuff up, I point to the map on the wall.*

'Other than that, it's just learning the district, the truck, and how we do things.  When you get here, I expect everyone to be prepared to go to work.  Set your gear up, check your air pack, and check anything and everything that you might be responsible for.  Radios, compartments, nozzles, and everything like that.  There's a learning curve for all of us with this new rig, so you're with most of us.'

*He looks over the rest of the truck for a few seconds as I wrap everything up.*

'If you have any questions, comments, or you just want to talk, just let me or anybody else on the crew know.  I'm here for y'all.'

*I take a step back and look over to the rest of the crew.*

'Now unless we get a roll, we're going to head to training.  We got an hour, so we'll head over then.'

*I walk over to my office and grab my phone.  I dial the academy so that we can get a time to go over there.  Once I get it, I head back out and keep going over everything with the crew.*

nleblanc1126.png

e11lt.png

Squad 7

service4.pngedu1.png

"You might be a firefighter if your entire wardrobe is t-shirts your friends gave you from their

-Unknown

"If Prometheus was worthy of the wrath of heaven for kindling the first fire upon earth, how

ought all the gods honor the men who make it their professional business to put it out?"

- John Godfrey Saxe

#254 D.Valentine

D.Valentine

Firefighter

• Engine
  • 664 posts
  • Character Hometown:Seekonk,MA

Posted 21 October 2018 - 03:44 PM

*i step out into the bay in my class b's when i dont see my dog on her bed off in the corner but with the guys i figure my pitbull retriver mix must be introduceing herself to the new guy so i walk up as well patting my dogonce or twice as i extend my hand to the new guy* 'hi there,landon right,im Dave,and youve already met my dog Savanna or rather shes met you,welcome to shiloh county' *i move to the truck,shooting nick a questioning look* "hey,nick,what exactly am i responsable for ive never been on a squad before,is it the same as on 11?'

e11ff.png

Firefighter Dave Valentine,SCFD

Squad 7

sar.png

#255 N. LeBlanc

N. LeBlanc

Lieutenant

• Commissioned Fire

• 3,609 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 05:06 PM

*As Dave asks what he's responsible for, I smile and turn to the rest of the crew.*

'No, that's a good question.  You are responsible for the same things as you were on the engine, just with a whole lot more.  Now that we're doing technical rescue, we have all of that equipment, plus the TSU.  So you guys are in charge of the same hose system and nozzles that you were before, but also the Hurst tool and all of the other equipment.  You've also got the medical gear in the cab.  We're going to be running a whole lot more now and we're going to be doing a whole lot more searching and RIT.'

nleblanc1126.png

e11lt.png

Squad 7

service4.pngedu1.png

-Unknown

- John Godfrey Saxe

#256 L. Cook

L. Cook

Probationary Firefighter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Character Hometown:Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Posted 22 October 2018 - 04:35 AM

*Going through my stuff I see that everything I need for now is in the bag so I bring my gear over to my seat in the truck.  At this point I'm approached by someone's dog who is being friendly.  To be honest I'm not very fond of dogs due to a bad experience with a neighbor's Border Collie when I was younger.  However that was 17 years ago and the only lingering effect is just not really liking them so that is info I'll keep to myself as the dog's owner comes to introduce himself.*

'Yeah, it's Landon and thanks.'

*I almost mention that I've been living in Saratoga and in the county for well over a year now for college to correct the any assumption that I just moved here.  However I feel like it'd be a pain in the ass to do so since it's not really important.  Plus Dave already moved on to talking with the Lieutenant as quickly as he approached.*

Probationary Firefighter

Landon Cook

#257 A.garbus

A.garbus

Firefighter

• Engine
  • 111 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC
  • Character Hometown:Matthews, NC

Posted 22 October 2018 - 04:51 PM

*As Kyle pulls the truck out onto the pad I walk over to the truck and through my gear onto it. I turn around to hear Nick introduce us to the new guy Cook, just as Nick says my name my pass device on my pack goes off and then I deactivate it so not to damage my hearing. I walk over to Cook as he is getting his gear settled*

'Hey Cook, I'm Aaron but people call me Garbus'

e11ff.png

emt.pngsar.pnghazmat.png

Firefighter Aaron Garbus

Engine 11

Shiloh County Fire

"One day, you will be old, you will be frail, and you will be slow.

​Someone will ask you; "What did you do in your day? What did you do in your prime?

​When you were young and strong and fast?" You will tell them you were a fireman; and

​when the day is done, and the page is turned, that will be enough." FDNY Captain

“Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets,

nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle.

Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.” Heraclitus

#258 E. Sjostrom

E. Sjostrom

EMT

• EMS
  • 811 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 05:25 AM

*With the call over we return to station after stopping off at Little Caesers to get a Hot N' Ready pepperoni pizza.  After Jackson back M3 into the bay I hop out with the pizza and head to the living room with it leaving Bobby to do a little restocking.*

memt.png

EMT Erika Sjostrom

Medic 3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users