86 replies to this topic

#81 Dr. Grant

Dr. Grant

EMS Physician

• EMS

• 30 posts
  • Character Hometown:Reno, NV

Posted 06 June 2018 - 09:55 PM

*I sit at the nurses station, working on my charts. I'm aware that there are two stabbing patients coming in. The trauma team is in the trauma bay working on the first patient who just got brought in. I got delegated to manage the second patient.*

*As the EMTs enter the ER I overhear the nurse in ambulance reception asking if this was the arm stabbing and I hear one of the EMTs answer affirmatively.*

'This is mine.' I say softly to myself as I logout of the computer and stand up. 

'Trauma 10' I hear the ambulance reception nurse tell the crew. I watch them wheel the patient over to the room and help him up into the room. He doesn't seem too bad. I walk over to the EMTs.

'So what do you have for me?' I ask Sjostrom.

Dr. Christopher Grant, DO, MPH
Associate Medical Director, Shiloh County FD (MD - 2)
Attending Physician
Emergency Medicine
Shiloh County General Hospital

#82 E. Sjostrom

E. Sjostrom

EMT

• EMS
  • 810 posts
  • Character Hometown:Washington D.C.

Posted 06 June 2018 - 10:15 PM

'18 year old male, with a wound caused by a knife in his arm. Last I checked vitals were 109 pulse, blood pressure was 107/68, and respiratory rate was at 22.  Patient's name is Jonathan Cooke.  Tourniquet and dressings applied on scene to help stop the bleeding.'

memt.png

EMT Erika Sjostrom

Medic 3

#83 Dr. Grant

Dr. Grant

EMS Physician

• EMS

• 30 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 10:41 PM

*I put some gloves on and make a line straight for his arm to take a look.*

'Hi, I'm Dr. Grant, I'm just going to take a quick look at your arm.' I say as I inspect it. I see a single wound, fairly large, but decently clean cut. Should be easy enough to suture. 

'What kind of knife was it? Any other injuries? Loss of consciousness?' I ask.

Attending Physician
Emergency Medicine

#84 E. Sjostrom

E. Sjostrom

EMT

• EMS
  • 810 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 05:01 PM

*The doctor takes the patient and starts talking to him or at least I think he's talking to him.  If he's talking to me then things are going to be a bit awkward as I'm already on my way back to M2.  On the way I see a nurse heading to the room and I figure it'd be a bit safer to let him know just in case so he can relay it to the doc.*

'Alright, won't keep you long.  Not sure if he was asking me questions or the patient as I was leaving.  However, covering my ass a bit.  Not sure what kind of knife, no other injuries, he didn't lose consciousness'

*With that said the nurse gives me a nod and I start worrying that the new doc, even though he's almost been here a year, and I might have just gotten on the wrong foot.  As I get to M2 I hop in the passenger seat.*

'Alright Jackson, let's head back to the station.'

memt.png

EMT Erika Sjostrom

Medic 3

#85 Dr. Grant

Dr. Grant

EMS Physician

• EMS

• 30 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 04:37 PM

Sjostrom leaves without answering.

'Okay then.' I say to myself, not thinking too much into it.  I ask the patient instead and essentially get the same information. 

'Ok so you did get knocked out?' I ask the patient.

'I think so, Maybe for a minute.' he replies.

*I check his neck and head. Nothing seems out of the ordinary except for some dried blood, probably from his arm wound. He denies any pain and seems alert and oriented.*

'Ok so I want to do a quick CT scan of your head since you did get knocked unconscious. A blow hard enough to do that is more than capable of causing a bleed in your brain. I think it's unlikely but I'd really rather be safe than sorry with that. Other than that we're going to get that tourniquet off and see what kind of bleeding we're dealing with here. Once we get that under control hopefully it will be a matter of cleaning it out and stitching it up.'

*The patient agrees. I pull out a pen light to get an even closer look at the wound. I poke a prod it for a second. I see exposed muscle. This is going to require multiple layers of stitching.*

*I ask the man to move his hands and fingers. He does so. I check his feeling around the wound and below. Everything seems intact.

As a nurse finishes his vital I take a quick glance at them. Everything seems normal. I walk out of the room and over to a computer to start writing up the orders.*

Attending Physician
Emergency Medicine

#86 E. Sjostrom

E. Sjostrom

EMT

• EMS
  • 810 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 12:14 PM

*Unloading the patient I hand in the PCR*

--------------------Call Info--------------------

Incident #: 20180618
Department: SCFD-EMS
Address: Oxnard Center Park, Oxnard
Dispatched As: Baseball Injury
First: Jackson
Second: Sjostrom
Third:
Other Agencies At Scene:

--------------------Patient Info--------------------

Patient Name: Joey Sanders
Date of Birth: 2/19/1996
Patient Address: 15 November Street, Oxnard
Conscious or Unconscious: Conscious
Trauma: Yes
Chief complaint: Ankle Injury
Signs & Symptoms: Visible Deformity, Swelling
Past History: None
Medications: None
Interventions: Splint, Ice Bags,
Transport or Refusal: Transport

--------------------Vital Signs--------------------

P: 79
RR: 21
BP: 122/83
Eyes: PEARRL
Skin: Pale
Lungs: Clear

--------------------Narrative--------------------

M2 dispatched to Oxnard Center Park for a baseball related injury.  On arrival we found the patient in the dugout with a deformed ankle.  As vitals were being taken patient states that he rolled ankle while rounding second base.  M2 crew used OPQRST tool, assessed CSM, and stabilized ankle using splints.  Patient was then transported to Shiloh County Hospital.

memt.png

EMT Erika Sjostrom

Medic 3

#87 R.Dunne

R.Dunne

Paramedic

• EMS
  • 12 posts
  • Character Hometown:BFE

Posted 05 November 2018 - 04:58 AM

"County Hospital this is Medic 2, how do you copy."
"Medic 2 this is County, we copy go ahead"

"County we're on scene with a male approximate age is 20, found to be acting violently. Police were involved, patient was tazed and continued to be combative. Vitals are as follows; pulse is 176, blood pressure is 196 over 108, and respirations are 26. Patient is warm to the touch and diaphoretic. We are about 5 minutes out. Anything further?"

"Negative Medic 2, we will see you on arrival."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users