• 63 posts
  • Character Hometown:Santa Fe, New Mexico

Posted 06 May 2018 - 05:41 PM

'911, where's your emergency?'

'Elk Horn Road in Essex, not sure where exactly'

'Ok, what's your emergency?'

'My friend hit a moose that jumped out in front of him'

'Are you or your friend hurt?'

'Oh, I'm fine, I was driving my own vehicle behind his Civic but I'm not sure about him.  The front of the roof is caved in from the Moose being on top of it.  Can't see Mark at all or hear him.'

'Ok, stay on the line so I can get further information.  I'm sending help'

*Muting the call I get on the radio for Fire, EMS, and the Sheriff's Department*

"County to Fire, Engine 11 due to Elk Horn Road in Essex, exact location unknown, for a MVC involving a Moose"

"County to EMS, next available unit due to Elk Horn Road in Essex for a vehicle collision involving a Moose."

"County to the Sheriff's Dept, I need a unit to respond to a Car Vs Moose on Elk Horn Road in Essex"

Notes:

The Moose is still alive but appears to be gravely injured

The car is a late model Civic and is in a ditch off the road

Only 1 Occupant in the Civic

#2 N. LeBlanc

N. LeBlanc

Lieutenant

• Commissioned Fire

• 3,572 posts
  • LocationJefferson Parish, Louisiana
  • Character Hometown:Metairie, Louisiania

Posted 06 May 2018 - 06:22 PM

*I hear our tones drop and I get up and start walking out to the bay.  As I get into the bay, I hear the report about a moose.*

'What?'

*I shrug as I reach down and unzip my boots.  I kick them backwards into the back wall before I step into my bunker pants.  I pull them up and I snap them closed.  I reach up and toss my hood into the truck, slide my radio strap on, and then toss my coat into the engine.  I climb in and shut my door as the rest of the crew does as well.  I put my headset on over my baseball cap as I slide my sunglasses on.  I hear the guys say that they're good and I ask again.*

'Got everyone?'

*I hear them say yes as Kyle eases us out of the station.*

'All right I'm keying the mic.  Clear right.'

*As Kyle pulls off toward the call, I key the mic through the headset.*

Me: "Engine 11, 911.  Engine 11's enroute."

911:"1242."

Me: "911, do you have a rescue enroute to this call?"

911: "Negative Engine 11."

Me: "Copy.  Start me a rescue for animal rescue and manpower."

*I slide forward and clip my radio sway strap to the bottom of my back right suspender before I put my traffic vest on.  As Kyle works the apparatus while we roll down the street, I slide back and pull up the computer.  I listen to the guys in the back talking about the moose.*

'Well that's why we have a rescue.'

Posted Image
Posted Image
Lieutenant Nicholas LeBlanc, Paramedic, Search and Rescue, HazMat, Diver

Engine 11

Posted ImagePosted Image

"You might be a firefighter if your entire wardrobe is t-shirts your friends gave you from their

departments for your birthday, Christmas, anniversary, etc."

-Unknown

"If Prometheus was worthy of the wrath of heaven for kindling the first fire upon earth, how

ought all the gods honor the men who make it their professional business to put it out?"

- John Godfrey Saxe

#3 K. LeBlanc

K. LeBlanc

Forensic Assistant

• ERT
  • 65 posts
  • Character Hometown:Cumberland Ridge, Kentucky

Posted 06 May 2018 - 06:34 PM

*As the rest of the company heads down to the bay, I follow three of the guys.  I get to the truck and I press on the opener to open the bay door.  Then I head back to the truck and climb in.  I hit the ignition and listen as the ignition turns over.  I close my door and put my headset on.  I pull the mic down in front of my mouth I listen as the guys get in, counting the closed doors.  Once I hear my dad ask if we got everyone, and when I hear everyone say that they are in, I hit the lights and pull out onto the apron.  I check my left and give the Q a short burst.  As I get to the corner, I rev the Q up and let it go as we roll out.  I get into the left lane, using the airhorn to clear people out of our way as we keep going.  I don't really engage in all of the conversation since I'm trying to concentrate on my driving and on any information coming over the radio through the headset.  I slow down at each intersection and hit the airhorn before crossing each one.  I always thought that riding the back step was the as badass as it could get, but driving might just be better.*

Kyle LeBlanc

SCFD Volunteer, Station 7

Ex. Kimberly Volunteer Fire Department Member 730

#4 M. Price

M. Price

ERT Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 06:47 PM

*Hearing a request for a rescue unit and more manpower I get on the radio for the Rescue Unit in Essex.*

"County to Fire, Rescue 4 requested to Elk Horn Road for a car vs moose"

*Next I get on Fish and Game's radio as they should probably be there as well.*

"Shiloh County to Saratoga Fish & Game, I need a unit to respond to Elk Horn Road in Essex for a car vs moose."

#5 J.Patterson

J.Patterson

Sergeant

• Commissioned Police

• 732 posts
  • LocationPawtucket Rhode Island
  • Character Hometown:Portland Maine

Posted 06 May 2018 - 07:03 PM

*im doing weigh station work with the state troopers  due to manpower when i hear the call about a car and a moose as the trooper im working with is handling the semi's fine i give him a nod* im closest and that's been the only truck we've seen i cant transport in the pickup anyway but if you need backup ill head back this way* * the state trooper nods and i key my m mic as i pull away* "county,show 254 rolling to the car vrs moose advise if animal control or state game wardens are on scene or responding as well" *i release the mic and flip my lights and sirens on easing into the fairly light traffic on the freeway

pd254sig.png

Sergeant Jason Patterson

FTO.jpg

Taser certified

sar.pngMotor%20officer.png

#6 E. Sjostrom

E. Sjostrom

EMT

• EMS
  • 772 posts
  • Character Hometown:Washington D.C.

Posted 06 May 2018 - 07:03 PM

*As soon as the tones drop for us I rush to M1 following behind Jackson who takes the driver's seat.  Getting in the passenger seat I close the door and key up the mic as Jackson pulls out of the bay getting behind Engine 11.*

"M1 responding"

*Flipping on the lights and sirens I take a look in the mirror to see if Breslin might be coming as it's possible this could be an ALS call.  Not seeing her I shrug a bit as I figure she'll be out soon or we can cross that bridge when we get to it.*

'When we get there I'll get vitals'

memt.png

EMT Erika Sjostrom

Medic 2

#7 M. Price

M. Price

ERT Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 07:07 PM

*Hearing 254 responding and asking about other agencies that might be responding I respond.*

"County to 254, be advised one Saratoga Fish & Game unit will be on scene"

#8 A. Breslin

A. Breslin

EMS Lieutenant

• Commissioned Fire

• 829 posts
  • LocationArizona
  • Character Hometown:Scottsdale

Posted 06 May 2018 - 07:20 PM

*I walk out to the garage as the bus and engine pull out. I grab the radio off my belt.*

"EMS Command. Show me backing M1."

*I get into the tahoe and flip the switch for the lights. I take a slow ride over to the job considering FD is most likey going to have to cut I may have to do some ALS work*

edolt.png
Paramedic Lieutenant Alyssa Breslin
EMS Duty Officer (EDO-1)

#9 A.garbus

A.garbus

Firefighter

• Engine
  • 90 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC
  • Character Hometown:Matthews, NC

Posted 07 May 2018 - 08:23 PM

*I'm in the bathroom taking finishing taking a dump when i here tones drop*

'SHIT'

*i listen to what is and i hear its a vehicle vs, wildlife, i pull my pants up and head to the truck once there i throw on my bunker pants and hope on the engine*

e11ff.png

emt.pngsar.pnghazmat.png

Firefighter Aaron Garbus

Engine 11

Shiloh County Fire

"One day, you will be old, you will be frail, and you will be slow.

​Someone will ask you; "What did you do in your day? What did you do in your prime?

​When you were young and strong and fast?" You will tell them you were a fireman; and

​when the day is done, and the page is turned, that will be enough." FDNY Captain

“Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets,

nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle.

Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.” Heraclitus

#10 N. LeBlanc

N. LeBlanc

Lieutenant

• Commissioned Fire

• 3,572 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 09:48 PM

*As we roll up to the scene, I see that the fish and game is already on the scene.*

Me: "Engine 11, 911."

911: "Go ahead."

Me: "Engine 11's on scene.  We have a silver Honda Civic, perpendicular to the Jersey Barrier in the fast lane possible entrapment.  We will be closing the fast lane and the shoulder at this time.  Continue in all responding units.  Engine 11 will have Command and we will be operating on Fireground 1."

*I turn around to the crew as we slow to a stop and Kyle angles the truck to close both the shoulder and the fast lane.*

'Guys, be careful getting out.  Otherwise this will be a shitty mess.  Garbus.'

*I hang my headset up on the hook in the engine and I swap my helmet out for my baseball cap.  I step down from the truck and adjust my radio strap before I flip the knob two places to the right.  I glance down at my radio where I see "SCFD FG1" on the screen.  I walk over to the car and I take a look.  While I do that, I grab my extrication gloves from my bunker pants.  There is oil on the ground from the car and the hood is all messed up with the moose.  I turn around to Dave and Garbus.  I see that Kyle is dropping the 1 3/4" on the ground for the protection line.*

'All right, who's getting in the car?'

*I turn around and I see that Kyle is finished dropping the line before I get up to the driver side of the car and I take a brass punch out of my helmet band and punch out the rest of the driver side window.  I use my gloved hand to clean the sash before I reach into the car and open up the hood up.  I walk back over to the front of the car and I reach under the hood and try to find the latch.  Once I do, I open up the hood and put the safety up to hold it open.  I look back to the car where I see the triple trim on the bottom of the bunker pants heading into the car.  I walk back, looking to see who it is so that I can get them to roll the seat back so that I can cut the battery in the car.*

Posted Image
Posted Image

Engine 11

Posted ImagePosted Image

"You might be a firefighter if your entire wardrobe is t-shirts your friends gave you from their

-Unknown

"If Prometheus was worthy of the wrath of heaven for kindling the first fire upon earth, how

ought all the gods honor the men who make it their professional business to put it out?"

- John Godfrey Saxe

#11 D. Johnson

D. Johnson

Deputy

• Patrol

• 95 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 02:17 AM

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Deputy Dan Johnson

#12 A.garbus

A.garbus

Firefighter

• Engine
  • 90 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 08 May 2018 - 02:18 AM

*i walk up to the driver after seeing Nick break the window and I the driver if they are ok and if they need medical attention*

Driver: no i think I'm ok, just my chest hurts a little

me: ok can i look at make sure nothing is broken?

driver: ok go ahead

*I open the door and using my angle light on the low setting i look at the drivers chest i notice some bruising along where the seatbelt is and possibly where the air bag deployed hit them*

me: looks like you are going to be ok just some whiplash nothing to be concerned about. does your neck or back hurt?

driver: ok, no my back and neck are feeling fine.

e11ff.png

emt.pngsar.pnghazmat.png

Firefighter Aaron Garbus

Engine 11

Shiloh County Fire

​Someone will ask you; "What did you do in your day? What did you do in your prime?

​When you were young and strong and fast?" You will tell them you were a fireman; and

​when the day is done, and the page is turned, that will be enough." FDNY Captain

“Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets,

nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle.

Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.” Heraclitus

#13 J.Patterson

J.Patterson

Sergeant

• Commissioned Police

• 732 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 06:48 AM

"county,show 254 on scene " * i release the mic as i roll up in the truck , fires got the road blocked off which makes my job easier and fish and games handling the moose the  as per the text i just got from the warden on scene but sheriffs was requested so here i am i slip my cell back into a pocket as i step out throwing my traffic vest on then grab some cones from the bed of 254 and start placing em expanding on whatever zone fire  had set up while leaving a spot for whatever tow truck thats coming which means im essentially just directing traffic and maybe doing a DUI and warrant check on the driver* 'poor moose' i utter to myself as i look over the scene aiting to let EMS in  and hoping i parked good enough for them to get  as close as they deem needed*

pd254sig.png

Sergeant Jason Patterson

FTO.jpg

Taser certified

#14 E. Sjostrom

E. Sjostrom

EMT

• EMS
  • 772 posts
  • Character Hometown:Washington D.C.

Posted 08 May 2018 - 08:35 PM

*As Jackson gets us on scene and pulls to a stop I grab the jumpbag.  Pushing open the passenger's door I hop out of M1 and key up the mic as I head on over to the wreck.*

"M1, on scene"

memt.png

EMT Erika Sjostrom

Medic 2

#15 K. LeBlanc

K. LeBlanc

Forensic Assistant

• ERT
  • 65 posts
  • Character Hometown:Cumberland Ridge, Kentucky

Posted 09 May 2018 - 06:16 AM

*As I drive toward the call, I turn onto Elk Horn Road and I see that there is already traffic built up behind the accident.  I keep the Q rolling and I also hit the Powercall and the airhorn.  People slowly get out of my way as we get close to the accident.  I swerve into the shoulder and then back out into the left lane, blocking the road.  I put the truck into neutral and then set the parking brake.  Next, I put the truck into pump and press the gas.  Nothing, so I know I'm in pump.  I put my traffic vest on before I get out of the truck and flip my radio over to the fire ground channel as I head to the front of the truck.  I make sure that the bail is closed on the bumper line before I pull it off and bring it closer to the car.  I get all three sections on the ground before I flake out the last two.  I walk back over to the pump panel and pull the lever to recirculate my tank water and then tank to pump.  I wait to charge the reconnect so that it will be easier to repack the line, but it's ready to be charged if we need to use it.  Next, I head over to the extrication compartment and open it up, in case the guys need the hydraulic tools.  Since I'm already toward the back fo the truck, I grab the cones off the tailboard and put them out behind the engine to protect our truck and also to make it obvious that people probably shouldn't hit the big red truck.  I grab the stay dry bucket from the back of the engine and I bring it over to the nozzle of the protection line so that it's out of the way before I finish up and then walk back to my dad.*

'Got the protection line dropped and cones put out.  Stay dry's by the nozzle.  Do you need me to get in the car still?'

*He nods, so I get to the back of the car and climb through the back window.  I introduce myself and I start to move the seat back while Garbus starts working on the driver.  Once I've got the seat all the way back, I look out the back window.*

'Good to cut the battery.'

*I get a screwdriver out of my bunker pants and I start to remove the head liner in the posts in case we have to cut.*

Kyle LeBlanc

SCFD Volunteer, Station 7

Ex. Kimberly Volunteer Fire Department Member 730

#16 N. LeBlanc

N. LeBlanc

Lieutenant

• Commissioned Fire

• 3,572 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 05:50 AM

'Got it.'

*I go back to the engine and I grab some step chocks and place them down around the tires of the car.  That's gonna be it for stabilization.  I head up to the front of the car and I reach under to find the hood latch.  I open it up, but of course, the moose is holding it down.*

'Dave, I need the spreaders.'

*As he goes and works on that, I shine a light inside of the car from my helmet.  I see that the battery is on the left, front side of the car, so hopefully the spreaders will be able to hold it open.  As Dave comes over, I take the spreaders from him and use them to open the hood as much as I can, from the inner skin of the hood.*

'Watch the moose.  Make sure it doesn't move.  If it does, stop me immediately.'

*As he pokes his head up, I set the tool and quickly increase the opening until I catch the hood.  Then, I slowly start to increase it, trying to get a purchase so that I can get in under the hood.  Lucky, this is only the legs because the main body of the moose is lying on the driver's side.  I get enough of an opening and I sigh.  I don't want to get in there because I'll literally be under the moose, but we can't do anything until we're able to get the moose off.*

Me: "Elk Command to Units on Scene, be advised, the battery to the car has not been disconnected.  We will disconnect upon Rescue 4's arrival.  BREAK Elk Command to Rescue 4."

Rescue 4: "Go ahead Command."

Me: "Rescue 4, what's your ETA?"

Rescue 4: "We're a half mile or so back.  We'll be there soon."

Me: "Elk Command Copies.  Go ahead and pull past the incident.  We'll need to run your hydraulic lines off of the rear of your truck."

Rescue 4: "Copy."

*I listen to the Q in the distance as they approach us.  I head back over to the car while I look at the guys, trying to figure out what I can help them with.  I have no idea how they want to stabilize this moose.  If anything, it'll probably be some kind of tripod or just using the winch to pull him off the car.  We'll have to see when they get here.  I walk over to one of the Fish and Game Guys as the Rescue is arriving.*

Me: 'Hey, I need to know what you guys want to do with that moose.'

Fish and Game: 'Well how bad is he?'

Me: 'He's lying on the hood of a car and not moving, so you tell me.'

Fish and Game: 'Well can he go through rehabilitation?'

Me: 'I don't know.  I need to know if you want us to try and support his weight and put him down gently or just drop it.'

Fish and Game: 'Well dropping him is animal cruelty.  You guys can't do that.'

Me: 'Look, I can get them to rig something up, but until that's done, I can't get them out of the car, which means your road is blocked longer and the person in there has less and less of a chance of survival.'

Fish and Game: 'Well what would they do?'

Me: 'You'd have to ask them.  I don't know what they want to do.  You need to tell them how gentle we need to be.'

Fish and Game: 'Well be as gently as possible.  We may be able to save the moose.'

Me: 'Okay then.'

*I walk over to the Rescue guys who are setting up some of their extrication tools.  I see their officer walk over to me and look at the moose.*

Jackson: 'What's with the damn moose?'

Me: 'I dunno he wanted dinner I guess.'

Jackson: 'What are we doing to get it off the car?'

Me: 'Well, I can't cut the battery until he's off.  Which means we can't cut the car open.  Fish and Game just said that they wanted him taken off gently, so I dunno what you want to do.'

Jackson: 'We'll probably have to rig up a tripod over the hood and lift him off evenly that way.  Then you guys can access the car and when the wrecker pulls up, we'll let them get the car and we'll put the moose down for the tree huggers.'

Me: 'Okay, how long will that take?'

Jackson: 'Shit, at least then minutes.'

Me: 'Ok.  Do you have anything shorter?'

Jackson: 'Other than just rip his ass off, no.'

Me: 'All right then, get to work.  Garbus, Dave, help 'em out please.'

*I key the mic as I take a step away from him.*

Me: "Elk Command, 911."

911: 'Go ahead."

Me: "Be advised, Fish and Game instructed to remove the moose in an attempt to save the moose.  This will likely be a prolonged extrication.  Will advise."

*I put the radio down and I sigh.  With that time increase, now we're talking a twenty minute deal or so.  Terrific.  That means that we're going to be pushing the golden hour.  Wonderful.*

Posted Image
Posted Image

Engine 11

Posted ImagePosted Image

-Unknown

- John Godfrey Saxe

#17 A.garbus

A.garbus

Firefighter

• Engine
  • 90 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 11 May 2018 - 04:39 PM

*i see Nick's wife come up to the vehicle at which point i transfer PT care to her. I step back to see the on going cluster happening before with this damn moose*

*i hear Nick tell me and Dave to help Jackson with setting up the rigging*

'Nick so I'm guessing we can just kill the bastard to remove it from the vehicle'

*I go over to the rig and start grabbing the necessary equipment needed for this move*

e11ff.png

emt.pngsar.pnghazmat.png

Firefighter Aaron Garbus

Engine 11

Shiloh County Fire

#18 N. LeBlanc

N. LeBlanc

Lieutenant

• Commissioned Fire

• 3,572 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 04:57 AM

'Hey look, I agree, but Fish and Game wants it removed, so that's what we're going to have to do.  At least for now.'

*I watch as the rescue grabs their equipment with the help of Dave and Aaron as I walk over to Kyle as EMS heads over.  I meet them before they get to it.*

'Hey guys.  I've got someone in the car working on the extrication and anything you guys need inside.  He's drifting in and out of consciousness.  He was conscious a few minutes ago, but Kyle can tell you more about that.  We've got to get the moose off first, then the battery disconnected before we cut.  Fish and Game wants the moose alive, so the Rescue is working on that, but you t me know if you want the moose off first.  You're the boss.  We're working on the extrication, but with all the stabilization, it might take a while to get them out.  Let me know if I can do anything for you guys.'

*I see them nod as I walk over to the other side of the car.  I want to try again to check if any of those doors open.  I figure that it might be worth a shot, so I poke my head in the back passenger window next to Kyle once he's finished filling in EMS.*

'Kyle, do these seats go back?'

*He shrugs, so I nod.*

'Do me a favor and try to get them down and pop the truck.  We may be able to take them out on a board that way, so we'll see.'

*If we can do that, we can take the spreaders or a ram and open the trunk up and pull them out that way.  I wait for Kyle to let me know before we can get moving.  I head over to Patterson who is standing back by his truck.*

'Jason, sorry I didn't get over here earlier.  I've been working with Fish and Game.  You're running the show on the PD side.  Do me a favor and make sure that there's a wrecker on the way, please.  Sound good?'

Posted Image
Posted Image

Engine 11

Posted ImagePosted Image

-Unknown

- John Godfrey Saxe

#19 J.Patterson

J.Patterson

Sergeant

• Commissioned Police

• 732 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 05:29 AM

* i sigh  as i glance through 254s window at my MDT when nick comes up  i turn and give him a nod* 'yep, manpowers thin ive been all over lately i can get a wrecker started but it probably wont be the one  from the department but who knows with staffing like it is,what  are you alll gonna do about the moose,things gotta weigh close to or more then 1500lbs,,its a big ass bull' * i reply to nick keying up my mic* "county from 254,start a wrecker this way ive got traffic or shut down in the fast lane ,so they should have a clear shot and advise they dont send a flatbed" * i release the mic and turn back to nick* 'worse case maybe we can use the boom of the tow truck as a makeshift crane and sling load the moose or something,but just between you and me id of probably dispatched it by now,things legs are probably broken why let it suffer but its fish and games call'

pd254sig.png

Sergeant Jason Patterson

FTO.jpg

Taser certified

#20 N. LeBlanc

N. LeBlanc

Lieutenant

• Commissioned Fire

• 3,572 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 05:44 AM

'Yeah, I agree.  Rescue's rigging up a tripod and their winch, so they'll just put a sling below and then lift it and suspend it over the car.  We'll let the wrecker get in there between the car and the engine and pull it that way from right under the moose.  I'm gonna let Fish and Game figure out how to get it the hell out of here.  But if EMS tells me, we're just going to take the winch and pull it off that way.  I'm not going to let someone die just because they want to keep a moose alive that's already dead.  Anyway, if you need anything, let me know.  I'm going to go and try to get them moving.'

*I head back to the Rescue and try to help them out.*

'What can I help you guys with.'

*I help pull the slings off of the truck and I hook the two together and with help, I slide one under the moose's hindquarters while two guys from the Rescue do the one near the head.  We get the two slings hooked before they get the winch set up.  I help them by grabbing the hook and pulling the steel cable off of the reel and over to the tripod.  I hand it to them as I step back and let the Rescue run that part of the show.  Next, I head over to Kyle and see what I can do for him and if it would work with trying to get them out of the trunk.*

Posted Image
Posted Image

Engine 11

Posted ImagePosted Image

-Unknown

- John Godfrey Saxe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users