#1 M. Price

M. Price

ERT Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Character Hometown:Santa Fe, New Mexico

Posted 13 May 2018 - 02:38 AM

"County to Fire, Engine 11, Engine 19, Engine 15. Truck 31 due to 41-24 DeKalb Street, 4-1-2-4 DeKalb Street, Ft. Shannon for a fire alarm activation.  Cross streets are North 4th and North 5th."

#2 N. LeBlanc

N. LeBlanc

Not an asshole

• Commissioned Fire

• 3,585 posts
  • Character Hometown:Home

Posted 13 May 2018 - 02:42 AM

*I'm sitting in the station watching Scarface on Netflix when I hear the tone go out for a trash chute fire.  Wonderful.  I step into my zip up boots and head over to the pole.  I slide down and end up in the engine bay next to the engine where I pull the boots off again as I step into my bunker pants.  I get the suspenders up before I put my hood on and then my radio strap.  Then, I go down to the last thing on the grab bar which is my coat and I put it on as I climb into the truck.  I put my headset on over my hood as I continue to bunker out.  As Kyle gets into the truck, I key the mic through the headset.*

Me: "Engine 11, 911.  Engine 11's enroute."

911: "2244."

*I snap my pants and my coat before I zip it up as we pull out of the station.*

Posted Image

Posted Image
Lieutenant Nicholas LeBlanc, Paramedic, Search and Rescue, HazMat, Diver

Engine 11

Posted ImagePosted Image

"You might be a firefighter if your entire wardrobe is t-shirts your friends gave you from their

departments for your birthday, Christmas, anniversary, etc."

-Unknown

"If Prometheus was worthy of the wrath of heaven for kindling the first fire upon earth, how

ought all the gods honor the men who make it their professional business to put it out?"

- John Godfrey Saxe

#3 K. LeBlanc

K. LeBlanc

Firefighter

• Banned

• 71 posts
  • Character Hometown:Cumberland Ridge, Kentucky

Posted 13 May 2018 - 03:26 AM

*I hit the X button on the PlayStation as we head down to the engine.  I open up the bay door before I open up the engine door.  I start the engine up before I climb in and hit the lights.  I put my headset on and shut the door as I hit the lights.  I look back, counting the doors as they close, just to be ready to roll out. I hear my dad call us responding as he gives me the go ahead to head out.  I pull out onto the street and head North toward the call.*

'What's the plan, boss?'

Kyle LeBlanc

SCFD Volunteer, Station 7

Ex. Kimberly Volunteer Fire Department Member 730

#4 D.Valentine

D.Valentine

Firefighter

• Engine
  • 656 posts
  • Character Hometown:Seekonk,MA

Posted 13 May 2018 - 03:40 AM

'at least its not another moose onto a car' * i set my cell down ensuring its locked as i join the guys rushing to the truck  savanna my fathful dog perks up but knows to stay  i hastily pll my bunker gear on kicking off my shoes and stepping into the pants while simultaneously moving to climb into the truck behind nick not even getting a chance to fully sit in my seat as we leave the bay* 'i see somebody dosent waste any time,gun it kyle!' * i call into the hedset as i finish pulling the rest of my turnout gear on*

e11ff.png

Firefighter Dave Valentine,SCFD

Engine 11

sar.png

#5 A.garbus

A.garbus

Firefighter

• Engine
  • 102 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC
  • Character Hometown:Matthews, NC

Posted 13 May 2018 - 03:43 AM

*sitting in the dayroom about to take a nap when i here the tones drop again and i listen to what it says*

"structure fire"

'lovely here we go again'

*i move to the truck throw my bunker pants on and hop on*

e11ff.png

emt.pngsar.pnghazmat.png

Firefighter Aaron Garbus

Engine 11

Shiloh County Fire

"One day, you will be old, you will be frail, and you will be slow.

​Someone will ask you; "What did you do in your day? What did you do in your prime?

​When you were young and strong and fast?" You will tell them you were a fireman; and

​when the day is done, and the page is turned, that will be enough." FDNY Captain

“Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets,

nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle.

Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.” Heraclitus

#6 N. LeBlanc

N. LeBlanc

Not an asshole

• Commissioned Fire

• 3,585 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 04:04 AM

*Now that I've got my coat mostly snapped closed, I take my shoulder mic off of the radio strap and I clip it onto the radio loop on my coat.  I finish up my coat.*

'Headset's comin' off.  Clear Right.'

*I take the headset off and leave it on my lap as I take my hood down and put my headset back on when I catch the end of Kyle's question.*

'Well. you're playing engineer, so catch the hydrant and feed the standpipe.  Dave, Aaron, we're going to head inside and check it out.  We'll find out what it is.'

*I start looking at the computer, trying to find out any more information while we get ready to arrive.  I glance over the floor plan from the pre-plan.  As we pull into the area, I see the building and I key the mic.*

Me: "Engine 11, 911."

911: "Go ahead."

Me: "Engine 11's on scene.  I have a five story building, smoke showing from the fifth floor.  The Alpha side is going to be the DeKalb St.  Engine 11 will have DeKalb Command.  Go ahead and complete the box alarm assignment.  We'll be operating on Fireground 1."

'Headset's comin' off.'

*I take my headset off and step down from the engine.  I flip my radio over to the fireground channel and I put my helmet on.  I grab my officer hook and the TIC.  I tighten my airpack straps again as I head inside.  I look around and I see the annunciator panel near the front of the building and I glance at the screen.*

Me: "DeKalb Command to 911."

Me: "Fire alarm panel is showing smoke on the third, fourth, and fifth floors.  Engine 11 is going to be heading up to the fifth floor at this time.  Stairway 1 is going to be the attack stairwell, stairwells two, three, and four will be evacuation stairwells.  BREAK DeKalb Command to Engine 19, head up to the fifth floor with Engine 11.  BREAK DeKalb Command to Engine 15, bring a backup line from the standpipe to the third floor.  BREAK DeKalb Command to Truck 31, we're going to have you do a search.  We'll advise a floor shortly."

*I turn to the guys as we get ready to head up the building.*

'Aaron, backup with the irons.  Dave, you're nozzle.  Let's get our shit and head up.'

*I walk back to the truck and put my hook on the seat before I grab the 6 ft NY hook and a halligan.  I walk back to the rear of the engine where Kyle puts a 50' section of 2 1/2" on my air pack.  I turn back to the rest of the guys as we get ready to head up to the fire floor.*

"Engine 11's headed up."

'Everybody good?'

*As we walk over to the steps, I wait for the rest of the guys as we get ready to head up.*

Posted Image

Posted Image

Engine 11

Posted ImagePosted Image

"You might be a firefighter if your entire wardrobe is t-shirts your friends gave you from their

-Unknown

"If Prometheus was worthy of the wrath of heaven for kindling the first fire upon earth, how

ought all the gods honor the men who make it their professional business to put it out?"

- John Godfrey Saxe

#7 A.garbus

A.garbus

Firefighter

• Engine
  • 102 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 13 May 2018 - 04:08 AM

'Roger that Nick' 

*as we scream down the road to the call i throw my coat and getting my coat i pull my lapel mic out of my coat and onto the chest flap. then i get my arms into my scba and tighten it down. once i got all that accomplished i put my seat belt back on and enjoy the ride*

e11ff.png

emt.pngsar.pnghazmat.png

Firefighter Aaron Garbus

Engine 11

Shiloh County Fire

​Someone will ask you; "What did you do in your day? What did you do in your prime?

​When you were young and strong and fast?" You will tell them you were a fireman; and

​when the day is done, and the page is turned, that will be enough." FDNY Captain

“Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets,

nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle.

Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.” Heraclitus

#8 K. LeBlanc

K. LeBlanc

Firefighter

• Banned

• 71 posts
  • Character Hometown:Cumberland Ridge, Kentucky

Posted 13 May 2018 - 04:19 AM

*As we pull up on the scene, I stop the truck just before the building, with the pump panel angled slightly toward the building so that I can get the FDC hooked.  While the guys head inside, I grab the 2 1/2" pre-connect and swivel the nozzle off.  Next, I take the 2 1/2" deadwood from the engine and pull two sections straight back.  As the guys come back, I leave it on the ground and then I head over to the side of the truck where I pull the high rise packs off the engine and hand them to the guys.  I give Dave the 100' section, and Aaron and my dad get the 50' sections.  I make sure to give the equipment bag to Garbus since my dad has the hand tools as they get ready to head up.  As they walk inside, I head over to the rear of the engine and disconnect the second and third sections of the dead load and bring them over to the pump panel.  I bring the two lines over to the Siamese FDC and hook them up, followed by a piece of webbing to secure the two of them together and to the actual connection.  Next, I head back to the engine and drop it into tank circulate and then tank to pump.  Finally, I head over to the side of the engine and pull out the supply line there.  I bring it to the hydrant and drop it there, along with the hydrant wrench.  I open up the hydrant and flush it before I shut it gain and hook in the hydrant.  Next, I hook that line into the other section from the front discharge on the engine and open the hydrant up.  I head back to the engine, open up the tank fill and then charge both of the lines. to what I'm assuming is the discharge pressure for the fifth floor before I key the mic.*

"Engine 11 Operator to Engine 11, FDC is charged."

Kyle LeBlanc

SCFD Volunteer, Station 7

Ex. Kimberly Volunteer Fire Department Member 730

#9 A.garbus

A.garbus

Firefighter

• Engine
  • 102 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 13 May 2018 - 04:27 AM

* I hope off the rig and grab 50' of hose from kyle and the equipment bag and then i follow Nick and dave in to the building, we begin our nice journey to the fire floor*

e11ff.png

emt.pngsar.pnghazmat.png

Firefighter Aaron Garbus

Engine 11

Shiloh County Fire

#10 N. LeBlanc

N. LeBlanc

Not an asshole

• Commissioned Fire

• 3,585 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 04:48 AM

*As the guys give me the go ahead to start climbing, I lead them up to the fifth floor.*

'Three floors.  Bet its a trash chute fire.  Let's find out.'

*We get to the top floor and I look to Dave and Garbus.*

'Let me go check the chute.'

*I flip my lights on before I open the door and see a light haze.  I leave my regulator off and stay low on a tripod as I slide down the hall.  When I get to the trash chute, I open it up and glance inside.  A heavy volume of black smoke pushes out, so I get down and click in my regulator before I get up and use the TIC.  I get down and key the mic as I work my way back to the stairs.*

"DeKalb Command to 911 and units responding, *breathe* there is a fire in the trash chute.  It appears to be debris between the third and fourth floor.  *Breathe* Engine 11's going to be headed down to the third floor at this time.  *Breathe* BREAK DeKalb Command to Truck 31, *breathe* start your search on the fourth floor and work your way up.  *Breathe* BREAK Engine 11 to Engine 14, *breathe* Head down to the dumpster on the Charlie side*breathe* We're going to try and knock the debris down to you."

*At this point I'm back at the stairs, so I head to them.*

'Let's head down to three and hook up there.  Sound good?'

Posted Image

Posted Image

Engine 11

Posted ImagePosted Image

-Unknown

- John Godfrey Saxe

#11 D.Valentine

D.Valentine

Firefighter

• Engine
  • 656 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 04:50 AM

*after jumping off the rig and getting set i follow nick up when he mentions  something about a trash chute i go to make a smart assed comment as a joke about the situation but before i can i star seeing haze as nick is checking the chute* 'well shit,you might be right after all nick' * at this time i finally move to get on air and am already moving to head back down the stairs* 'gotcha boss' *i say as i take a breath realizing i haden't turned my air on i turn the valve real quick then pull my gloves on and take another breath this time getting air through my regulator

e11ff.png

Engine 11

sar.png

#12 A.garbus

A.garbus

Firefighter

• Engine
  • 102 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 13 May 2018 - 04:51 AM

'sounds good nick' *breath*

e11ff.png

emt.pngsar.pnghazmat.png

Firefighter Aaron Garbus

Engine 11

Shiloh County Fire

#13 N. LeBlanc

N. LeBlanc

Not an asshole

• Commissioned Fire

• 3,585 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 05:03 AM

*We head down tot he third floor and I help the guys layout the hose on the steps.  I check the hallway and I see that it is an untenable hallway.  At this point, some of the guys are here from Engine 19 and they help us get the line in service.  I click my regulator in and I make the push down the hallway in front of the guys.  Once we get to the trash chute, I key the mic again.*

"11 to 19, charge that standpipe."

*As the guys get water, I open up the trash chute and I take the halligan and I use it to hold the self-closing door open.  I key the mic as they start flowing water down the chute.*

"DeKalb Command to 911, water on the fire."

*I let them hit it for a minute before I get them to shut the line down.  I stand up and poke it a few times with the NY hook to knock the mattress down and allowing them to hit it so that 14 can do overhaul.  I stand up with the TIC and try to see how it's going in there.  The fire is getting knocked down, so everything is working well for now.  I let them hit it some more while the guys from some of the ladder guys check from above.*

Posted Image

Posted Image

Engine 11

Posted ImagePosted Image

-Unknown

- John Godfrey Saxe

#14 D.Valentine

D.Valentine

Firefighter

• Engine
  • 656 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 05:15 AM

* as we come down the steps i take one end of the hose i have that i had partly layed out or atleast loosened to speed the process  and pass it to garbus who passes it to other guys from 19s crew,who inturn hook to the standpipe i dont waste a econd as soon as nick gets the door open i start spraying as who knows whats causeing the fire  so its better safe then sorry,i dont even know how much time has passed but the smoke ive noticed was showing signs that my spray and pray type method was working,when nick tells me to stop i close the bail* 'was that*breath* a fuckin mattress?' *breath* how the hell did they light there *breath*mattress on fire,da fuck bro?!' * when nick clears i start spraying yet again ensureing im getting whatever i mighta missed on my first pass*

e11ff.png

Engine 11

sar.png

#15 N. LeBlanc

N. LeBlanc

Not an asshole

• Commissioned Fire

• 3,585 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 05:27 AM

*I stand up with the NY hook and drive the mattress down, and this time I can feel it slide down.  I look in and I see that it did go down to the dumpster.*

"11 to 14, you guys get the mattress?"

*I hear them say that they did, so I turn to the rest of the guys.*

'Let's get these windows open so we can get the smoke out of here.'

*I grab one of the guys from 19 and we head to one of the rooms to force one of the doors.  I take the halligan and I size up the door with the forks before I take the adz and set it in the door.  I adjust my positioning before I look to him.*

'Ready?'

*He nods, so I adjust again.*

'Hit...  Hit...  Hit....  Hit...  STOP.'

*I make sure that he stops before I try to gab the door.  I can't force it, so I try to work around the jamb before we're actually able to force the door.  I head inside and open up the window.  We come out and do the same thing on three other rooms, so I look at the other guys as the smoke starts to lift.  I take my regulator out of my mask and key the mic.*

Me: "DeKalb Command, 911."

Me: "We have the fire mostly out at this time.  Engine 14 is continuing to overhaul and we are ventilating the building.  You can cancel units that are not on scene at this time."

Posted Image

Posted Image

Engine 11

Posted ImagePosted Image

-Unknown

- John Godfrey Saxe

#16 A.garbus

A.garbus

Firefighter

• Engine
  • 102 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 13 May 2018 - 05:38 AM

*I see Nick take a halligan bar to one of the doors and size it up and i watch him place the tool in the door with the adz in set in the door frame i hear nick ask if I'm ready which i reply with a nod.*

Nick: 'Hit...  Hit...  Hit....  Hit...  STOP.'

* I stop hitting the halligan with my flat head axe and watch nick try and force the door when the door fails to move i watch him reposition to the jamb after another set of hits we are able to get the door open and we begin to open windows*

e11ff.png

emt.pngsar.pnghazmat.png

Firefighter Aaron Garbus

Engine 11

Shiloh County Fire

#17 N. LeBlanc

N. LeBlanc

Not an asshole

• Commissioned Fire

• 3,585 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 05:57 AM

*As the smoke clears the third floor, I look to my guys.*

'All right, let me head up and check how they're doing up there.'

*I get up to the fourth floor and everything looks all right there, and then up to the fifth floor.  Everything is open, I key the mic as I head down to the third floor.*

"DeKalb Command to 911, we're completing ventilation.  Crews will be coming available as they clear.  DeKalb Command is terminated, releasing Fireground 1."

*I flip my radio back to County Main as I help the rest of the crew pack up and head out.*

Posted Image

Posted Image

Engine 11

Posted ImagePosted Image

-Unknown

- John Godfrey Saxe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users