• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Character Hometown:Santa Fe, New Mexico

Posted 22 May 2018 - 07:27 AM

'911, where's your emergency?'

'66 Einstein Drive Oxnard'

'What's your emergency?'

'My riding lawnmower started smoking then it caught on fire.  I jumped off it but some bushes near it caught fire.... and now a tree is on fire too.  Send help quick before this spreads to my house!'

'Okay, stay on the line for more info, I'm sending the Fire Department now.'

*Seeing that Oxnard FD is busy with a MVA at the mall I guess I'll have to send county FD. Muting the call I get on FD's radio.*

"County to FD, Engine 11 due to 66 Einstein Drive in Oxnard for a lawn fire."

#2 N. LeBlanc

N. LeBlanc

Not an asshole

• Commissioned Fire

• 3,585 posts
  • Character Hometown:Home

Posted 22 May 2018 - 08:32 AM

*As we're doing preplanning in our district, I hear the call go out for a lawnmower fire.  We're on the opposite side of the station from the call, but we're going to have to haul ass.  I finish with the property owner and sprint out to the engine.  The guys are already putting their gear on as I sprint out.  I hold my radio with my right hand as I sprint over to the engine.  As I get there, I release the sway strap on my back belt loop and I stop myself before I rip my bunker pants down from the engine.  I step into the boots before I climb in after the rest of the guys.  I pull my headset down after I close the door.  Kyle hits the lights and we head out toward the call.*

'Dave you're clearing the intersections while I get my gear on.'

*I ease my ass off of the seat as I pull my bunker pants up to my waist.  I find my suspenders and pull them over my shoulders before I put my radio strap back on under my seatbelt.  I clip the strap to my bunker pants before I grab my bunker coat and work that onto my shoulders.  I leave my air pack off as I finish up getting everything ready.  I check everything again as we head into Oxnard.*

'All right, let's see how bad this is.  We'll probably be able to get away with just pulling the booster line, but we'll have to see once we get there.'

Posted Image

Posted Image
Lieutenant Nicholas LeBlanc, Paramedic, Search and Rescue, HazMat, Diver

Engine 11

Posted ImagePosted Image

"You might be a firefighter if your entire wardrobe is t-shirts your friends gave you from their

departments for your birthday, Christmas, anniversary, etc."

-Unknown

"If Prometheus was worthy of the wrath of heaven for kindling the first fire upon earth, how

ought all the gods honor the men who make it their professional business to put it out?"

- John Godfrey Saxe

#3 K. LeBlanc

K. LeBlanc

Firefighter

• Banned

• 71 posts
  • Character Hometown:Cumberland Ridge, Kentucky

Posted 24 May 2018 - 12:49 AM

*I walk around with the guys inside, looking over everything with the pre-plans.  There's not that much need for me here, but I'm just treating it like a learning experience.  I've heard people talk about pre-plans, but at least I can now get a first hand view of them.  As we're walking through, I hear the tones drop for us, so I start walking outside as I hear the call.  The rest of the guys jog past me, except for my dad who is trying to finish up with the business owner.  I get to the truck and I open up my door and I start the truck.  I flip the lights on and I see the rest of the guys jumping into their gear.  I walk back over to the rear compartment where I grab my gear and I put my bunker pants on.  I pull them up slowly as my dad comes full fledge sprinting out of the store.  I walk into the truck and climb up.  I shut my door and I put my headset on and I see my dad still trying to haul ass.*

'I'll call us enroute."

*I key the mic as my dad climbs up and we head out.*

"Engine 11, 911.  Engine 11's enroute to the grass fire."

*As my dad climbs in, I release my foot from the brake and we head out.*

'Now that we have the old man...'

*I chuckle as he flips me the bird and we head out to the call.*

Kyle LeBlanc

SCFD Volunteer, Station 7

Ex. Kimberly Volunteer Fire Department Member 730

#4 D.Valentine

D.Valentine

Firefighter

• Engine
  • 656 posts
  • Character Hometown:Seekonk,MA

Posted 24 May 2018 - 04:41 AM

' got it!' i exit the store kyle beats me out if only just so and before i fully have my gear on or my door closed kyles already pulling away from the curb 'clear right give the horn and sirens a nice rip as we blow through the intersection the hill on the lefts kinda blind but if you punch it it wont matter  unless somebody blows the stopsign at the top of it'

e11ff.png

Firefighter Dave Valentine,SCFD

Engine 11

sar.png

#5 A.garbus

A.garbus

Firefighter

• Engine
  • 102 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC
  • Character Hometown:Matthews, NC

Posted 24 May 2018 - 02:01 PM

*I hear my radio  sound for a lawn, as me, dave and little LeBlanc head to the truck I see Nick finish with store owner.as we get to the I hop in the back throw my bunker.*

"figure since its only grass no need to be hot as hell for no reason"

*I take my boots off and slide my right foot then my left foot in the bunker pants and pull them to my waist. I then take off my radio strap and pull the suspenders over my shoulders. then I put my radio strap back on.*

* as soon Im done I see Nick sprinting to the truck and hop on, as we pull off to the call*

e11ff.png

emt.pngsar.pnghazmat.png

Firefighter Aaron Garbus

Engine 11

Shiloh County Fire

"One day, you will be old, you will be frail, and you will be slow.

​Someone will ask you; "What did you do in your day? What did you do in your prime?

​When you were young and strong and fast?" You will tell them you were a fireman; and

​when the day is done, and the page is turned, that will be enough." FDNY Captain

“Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets,

nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle.

Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.” Heraclitus

#6 N. LeBlanc

N. LeBlanc

Not an asshole

• Commissioned Fire

• 3,585 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 05:56 AM

*As we roll up, I see the smoke pouring up from the yard and fire in the trees.*

Me: "Engine 11, 911."

911: "Go ahead."

Me: "911, Engine 11's on scene.  We have a large grass fire at this location.  Start me a Brush truck to this location for manpower.  Engine 11 will have Einstein Command.  We will be operating on Fireground 2."

*As 911 finishes copying and starting to tone Essex's Brush truck, I hit the PTT for the truck.*

'Headset's comin' off.'

*I step down from the truck, leaving my air pack inside.  I put my helmet on and then I reach down for my radio.  I turn the knob twice and I check to make sure that I'm on the Fireground channel.  I turn to the guys as they come around.*

'Dave, Aaron, pull the 1 3/4" and start working on that tree.  I'll take the booster line and start working on the grass.  Kyle, I need a water supply.  Sound good?'

*I listen as everyone agrees and I head over to the property owner to have a face to face with him.  Once we're done, I head over to the truck and jump up on the step board and I pull down the fog nozzle on the booster line.  I walk it out and then I turn over to Kyle.*

'Booster line!'

Posted Image

Posted Image

Engine 11

Posted ImagePosted Image

"You might be a firefighter if your entire wardrobe is t-shirts your friends gave you from their

-Unknown

"If Prometheus was worthy of the wrath of heaven for kindling the first fire upon earth, how

ought all the gods honor the men who make it their professional business to put it out?"

- John Godfrey Saxe

#7 K. LeBlanc

K. LeBlanc

Firefighter

• Banned

• 71 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 06:36 AM

*As we roll up, I can see the smoke, so I'm getting a little excited already.  This'll be my first time I'll be pumping an actual fire.  I start looking for hydrants as we roll up, and eventually I see one, but it's half a block back.  Shit.  As we arrive, I get off of the truck and I start grabbing what I need.  I get the gate valve and a hydrant wrench as my dad tells me that I'll need to get a water supply.  I pull my extrication gloves out from my bunker pants and I immediately help the guys clear the rest of the hose from the bed and flake it out.  As the guys call for water, I finish up opening the tank circulate and tank to pump before I pull the lever on the 150' 1 3/4" preconnect.  I immediately go to be back of the engine and I grab the 4" supply line.  I sling it over my shoulder and across my body as I step down from the step board and run toward the hydrant.  I know that I have plenty of time to get the hydrant, but I need to get the booster line charged.  I get to the hydrant when I hear my dad call for water.*

'Shit.'

"11 Operator copies, standby."

*I drop the line by the hydrant and run back up to the pump.  I pull the lever to discharge the booster line.*

'WATER'S COMIN'!'

*I get them both set at a good pressure before I lock off the levers.  I finish pulling off the rest of the section on 4" and I bring it over to the officer side of the truck.  I use the Stortz connection to secure the line to the LDH intake before I close the intake valve completely before I open the valve slightly to bleed off the air in the line once I get it charged.  I walk back to the rear step boar where I get the gate valve and the wrench from the step valve and I head back down to the hydrant. I open up the 2 1/2" away from the fire and then I glance into the barrel before I open the hydrant.  I give it about five seconds to get all of the brown water out and to make sure that everything is flushed.  I close the 2 1/2" before I open up the 4" and hook the gate valves to the 2 1/2s.  That way, we'll be able to hook another truck, we don't have to shut down the hydrant.  Next, I hook our supply line to the hydrant and I open the hydrant.  I start slowly before increasing in speed to where I'm opening the hydrant all the way.  Once I've got it tight, I take the wrench with me back to the truck.  I check my fill level on the pump panel before I walk around the truck, both to get a better view of the fire as well as the open the intake valve.  The air's bled, so I close the bleeder and I get ready to open the rest of the valve.  I walk back over to my side of the panel and I open up the tank fill valve before I open the intake valve.  I head back to my side of the pump while I watch the tank get filled.  Once I get the top light light up, I close tank to pump, allowing me to just pump off the intake from the hydrant.  I check my gages again before I pull out a grease pencil from my compartment in the truck and I make the gages on the 1 3/4" with the residual and the static before I get the booster line.  I wait for anything else that I need as I listen for the Brush.*

Kyle LeBlanc

#8 D.Valentine

D.Valentine

Firefighter

• Engine
  • 656 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 08:06 PM

'got it lets hope the hydrant we passed stays good' *i say as i practically bolt from the truck giving the angle i pull the quick attack from the bumper kyle sees me do so so my lines already charged as hot as the weather is coupled with the fire im glad im just in my bunker pants however my expression changes  when the wind picks up,it wont be a real bad brush fire but now its threatening the guys house so untill nick gets the booster line on the grass im essentially doubling as a sprinkler between the tree and the guys former pristine lawn* 'goddamned wind always gotta make things harder then it has to be dontcha'

e11ff.png

Engine 11

sar.png

#9 N. LeBlanc

N. LeBlanc

Not an asshole

• Commissioned Fire

• 3,585 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 07:26 AM

*As Kyle charges the booster line, I turn the nozzle pattern to the right following the "right to fight" adage.  I slowly open the nozzle to bleed the line before I open the nozzle all of the way.  I turn the nozzle slightly to the left to get a wider pattern as I start hitting some of the fire in the grass.  I pull the line over my shoulder and I reach behind my back with my left hand as I pull the line with me toward the house.  I knock the fire down on the side of the ward by the driveway as I get to the front of the house, trying to protect that.*

'Damn brush fires.'

*I start hitting the fire near the house and pushing it back toward the tree and the lawnmower.  I'm able to knock most of it out before I shut the line down.  I see that Dave and Aaron are still hitting the fire in the tree as the Brush truck arrives.  I head over to them and brief them.*

'Hey guys, we've got the grass fire mostly knocked.  Apparently, the fire started with the lawnmower, so we need to still overhaul that, but we need your brush rakes.'

*The three guys nod as they head to the back of the brush engine and grab two brush rakes.  They head over to me where I open up the line again and I open it up to check the pattern and also to hit the grass that they're puling up wit the brush rakes.  As we knock that down, I look up every now and then and watch Dave and Aaron hitting the tree.  Hopefully we won't have to get up there and cut the tree down, but I'd rather not leave a snag in the guy's yard.*

Posted Image

Posted Image

Engine 11

Posted ImagePosted Image

-Unknown

- John Godfrey Saxe

#10 A.garbus

A.garbus

Firefighter

• Engine
  • 102 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 27 May 2018 - 04:37 PM

*i hop off the rig with my helmet and put on, as i do the i turn on my new fire cam and start recording the action. I then go an pull on of the 1 3/4 attack lines and i take it to the fire line*

Radio " Nick what do you want us to hit again"

Nick: "In the tree by the lawnmower"

*I open up the bale to the nozzle to bleed of the air and adjuct my pattern to about a 20* fog pattern  and I begin to the top and inside of the tree.*

e11ff.png

emt.pngsar.pnghazmat.png

Firefighter Aaron Garbus

Engine 11

Shiloh County Fire

​Someone will ask you; "What did you do in your day? What did you do in your prime?

​When you were young and strong and fast?" You will tell them you were a fireman; and

​when the day is done, and the page is turned, that will be enough." FDNY Captain

“Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets,

nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle.

Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.” Heraclitus

#11 K. LeBlanc

K. LeBlanc

Firefighter

• Banned

• 71 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 08:21 AM

*As the Brush guys show up, I see my dad go with them and start talking with them.  I glance up at the tree and I see that it's mostly out, but I'm wondering if we'll have to cut the tree.  I open up the compartment on the Brush truck and I get two brush rakes out for them.  Next, I walk over to the chainsaw compartment and I pull it out and set it on the tailboard.  I walk back over and check my pump panel before I head around to the front of the truck and I glance at the gages while I wait to see what else the guys need.*

Kyle LeBlanc

#12 N. LeBlanc

N. LeBlanc

Not an asshole

• Commissioned Fire

• 3,585 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 07:52 AM

*I finish hitting the area that the guys expose with the brush rakes before I walk over to Aaron and Dave who are finishing up with the tree.  It's probably only ten feet tall or so, so I'm not that concerned with cutting the whole tree if we need to do that, but I don't want to cut this damn tree.  I sigh and head over to them.*

'Good job, y'all.  Does it look like it got in the trunk of the tree?'

Posted Image

Posted Image

Engine 11

Posted ImagePosted Image

-Unknown

- John Godfrey Saxe

#13 A.garbus

A.garbus

Firefighter

• Engine
  • 102 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 31 May 2018 - 10:57 PM

*I look over at Nick*

"i hope not i don't want to cut this whole damn tree down"

e11ff.png

emt.pngsar.pnghazmat.png

Firefighter Aaron Garbus

Engine 11

Shiloh County Fire

#14 D.Valentine

D.Valentine

Firefighter

• Engine
  • 656 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 03:58 PM

'why not hit it with a tic,worse case ive dropped trees before i can handle it if its gotta go down' * i finally close the bail on the hose as the fires more or less out so i get a bit closer to the tree to see if i can hear if its burning inside*

e11ff.png

Engine 11

sar.png

#15 A.garbus

A.garbus

Firefighter

• Engine
  • 102 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 14 June 2018 - 11:26 PM

*i take the chainsaw and i cut the burning bush and it slowly falls over*

'well shit that was exciting'

e11ff.png

emt.pngsar.pnghazmat.png

Firefighter Aaron Garbus

Engine 11

Shiloh County Fire

#16 D.Valentine

D.Valentine

Firefighter

• Engine
  • 656 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 07:04 PM

[[figured we'ed of warped this up anyway]]

*with nobody really doing anything aside from garbus mopping up me and kyle move to pack the hoses up,i reach into the cab and grab a tic and sweep the tree with it satisfied i put the tic back in the truck looking over to nick whos on his cell an unspoken word is exchanged and i key my radio* "county from engine 11,you can show us packing up everythings out no further flames showing,we're returning to quarters available the brush trucks gonna be doing the mop up and overhaul 11s terminating command and releasing fireground 2" i  release my ptt and i see nick,still on his phone tap at  the trucks computer clearing us from the call as me and garbus move to climb back in and kyle pulls away from what was our scene*

e11ff.png

Engine 11

sar.png

#17 N. LeBlanc

N. LeBlanc

Not an asshole

• Commissioned Fire

• 3,585 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 02:30 AM

*As the guys look over the tree, I feel my phone vibrate.  I figure that it's probably just an update from the news or from Active 911, but I feel it vibrate again, so its a phone call.  I pull my right glove off and toss it on the ground as I fish my hand between my bunker pants and my duty pants.  I grab my phone and pull it out to see that its our division chief calling.*

Me: "Hey Chief, what can I do for you?"

Chief Schwartz: "Not much, I need you guys to put your wildland gear on the engine."

Me: "We'll get it done as soon as we get back to the station, chief."

Chief Schwartz: "Back to the station?"

Me: "Correct, chief...  Is that a problem?"

Chief Schwartz: "Where are you guys now?"

Me: "We're out in Oxnard on the Einstein fire."

Chief Schwartz: "You guys are on a call?"

Me: "Correct."

Chief Schwartz: "Well what is it?"

*At this point I look up in the sky and grit my teeth.  I don't like talking to Chief Schwartz because he's not what I would call a fireman's fireman, but he wears the white shirt, so I don't really have a choice.  But that he doesn't know that one of his crews is on a call, or what the call even is.  That doesn't make me feel too good.*

Me: "Its a yard fire.  A lawnmower caught fire and extended into a tree."

Chief Schwartz: "You guys have a handle on it?"

Me: "I think so Chief, its us and Brush 24."

Chief Schwartz: "You think so?"

Me: "Well the guys are checking for any extension in the tree right now, but it doesn't look like it's anything serious."

Chief Schwartz: "Well you best go find out."

Me: "You got it Chief, just as soon as we finish talking."

Chief Schwartz: "Well do your damn job."

Me: "You got it, Chief."

*As Dave walks up and nods, I figure that he's talking about the lack of extension, so I shoot him a thumbs up.  I watch as he keys the mic and terminates Command.  This won't end well.*

Chief Schwartz: "Who was that on the radio?"

Me: "That's one of my firefighters, Chief."

Chief Schwartz: "Well why is he on the radio and not you?"

Me: "Well I'm on the phone with you, Chief and we're trying to clear the scene."

Chief Schwartz: "Don't you dare blame this on me."

Me: "I'm not chief."

*I get back to the engine and climb in.  I hit the available button on the computer as Kyle pulls us away from the curb.*

Chief Schwartz: "You can't even control your damn crew?  What good are you as an officer?"

Me: "Well Chief, I'm sorry that you feel that way."

Chief Schwartz: "Well I do.  Get off your ass and do your job."

*I hear the line go dead as he hangs up on me.  I bit my lip to keep from screaming something that I shouldn't as we pull away.  I put my phone away without saying anything to anyone as I put my headset on.  I take a few seconds as we start heading back to quarters.*

Posted Image

Posted Image

Engine 11

Posted ImagePosted Image

-Unknown

- John Godfrey Saxe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users