ERT Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Character Hometown:Santa Fe, New Mexico

Posted 19 June 2018 - 01:24 AM

*Staying cool indoors with the aide of AC I take the next call coming in*

'911, where's your emergency?'

'My backyard's on fire! My garden, my bushes, my cabbages.  No wait, my cabbages are fine but my shrubbery!'

'Where's your emergency?'

'122 Summer Road, Oxnard.  Everything alongside my backyard fence is on fire.  Well, almost all of it anyways.  It's starting to get to my shed.'

'Is anyone hurt?'

'No, no one's hurt, I don't know how this started I just looked out the window from my kitchen and saw flames practically everywhere!'

'Ok, stay on the line so I can get more info I'm sending help now.'

*Muting the call I see again that Oxnard FD is again busy with another call so I call up County FD to deal with this.*

"County to FD, Engine 11 due to 122 Summer Road in Oxnard for a fire in the backyard"

Call Notes:

Nothing in the shed is flammable

A tree in the backyard of the property is over 150 years old but it's also not on fire so ignore it

Again, the cabbages are fine

#2 N. LeBlanc

N. LeBlanc

Not an asshole

• Commissioned Fire

• 3,585 posts
  • Character Hometown:Home

Posted 19 June 2018 - 02:48 AM

*I listen as the call goes out, so I sigh and save what I was doing on my computer.  I get up and sigh.  At this point, I kind of want to get a structure fire.  Even today, the anniversary of one of the biggest disasters in the fire service.  I get to the truck and I see Aaron trying to put his TECGEN on.*

'Structure gear.  Exposures threatened.'

*I head to my gear and I pull my pants up.  I hook the harness together before I pull my right suspender up and then I sling my coat over my right arm.  I climb into the truck and I start to get dressed the rest of the way.  We start pulling out as I talk to Dave behind me.*

'Dave, clear those intersections for me while I finish bunkering out.'

"Engine 11's enroute."

*I know that I'm sounding like an asshole trying to get the guys to do my job for me, but I want to get my shit on and read them the call notes.  I finish getting my stuff on and I start reading the information from the computer.  I almost die laughing as I read the call notes.  I'm sure that the guys are wondering what the hell I'm talking about, so I figure that I'll explain it for them.*

'My first like three fires ever were mulch fires.  We had a giant field of like ten twenty or thirty foot piles of mulch that burned for like a month.  Good ole days.'

*I hear some smart ass moments from the guys about how they didn't know mulch was invented back then so I laugh.*

'Well that's why they keep me around.  To teach you young kids the complicated shit.  Like fire is hot, but water beats fire.'

*I read the rest of the notes and formulate a plan as we start getting closer.  While we're on the interstate, I turn to the guys.*

'See if y'all can find a header.'

Posted Image

Posted Image
Lieutenant Nicholas LeBlanc, Paramedic, Search and Rescue, HazMat, Diver

Engine 11

Posted ImagePosted Image

"You might be a firefighter if your entire wardrobe is t-shirts your friends gave you from their

departments for your birthday, Christmas, anniversary, etc."

-Unknown

"If Prometheus was worthy of the wrath of heaven for kindling the first fire upon earth, how

ought all the gods honor the men who make it their professional business to put it out?"

- John Godfrey Saxe

#3 C.Miller

C.Miller

Firefighter Paramedic

• Engine
  • 553 posts
  • Character Hometown:St. Louis

Posted 19 June 2018 - 03:09 AM

*After putting my gear in the truck and grabbing my wildland gear I throw the wild land gear inside and grab my bunker pants kicking off my station boots I put my bunker pants on and toss my coat in the truck and hop in and buckle up while still doning my turnouts as we go to the call*

'Ok Nick will do'

"%20alt=

"%20alt=

Paramedic Firefighter C Miller

Engine 11

#4 D.Valentine

D.Valentine

Firefighter

• Engine
  • 656 posts
  • Character Hometown:Seekonk,MA

Posted 19 June 2018 - 05:20 AM

'it never fuckin ends,that's how you know its summer' * i say as i once again hear the tones go off and move to climb back in the truck not getting a a response to my statement  i decide to bunker up kinda surprised when nick wants me to clear intersections   a part of me wants to ask him whats soured his mood,but i figure it was probably something to do with the call he took on the last run so i hold my tongue just in case hes pissed at me for clearing the lawn fire but he did nod to me so i figured it was a go ahead*'clear left' * i callout and its clear for the most part  barring an outta state convertible that darts through the red right as we enter the intersection, i flip the car off as nick lets the airhorn rip kyle managing to swerve around him but needing to hop the curb cause the genius locks his brakes up in the middle of the road* "you think people would learn not to run frigging lights with a giant red truck infront of em'*luckily we get on the interstate without any further issues or near misses* 'Whats the plan lieu?' * i ask as i finish with the last of my bunker gear and sit back down*

e11ff.png

Firefighter Dave Valentine,SCFD

Engine 11

sar.png

#5 K. LeBlanc

K. LeBlanc

Firefighter

• Banned

• 71 posts
  • Character Hometown:Cumberland Ridge, Kentucky

Posted 20 June 2018 - 01:54 AM

*I head downstairs with the rest of the crew when I hear the call go out.  I get to the truck and shut my compartment after ensuring that all of my gear is inside of it.  I then open up my door when I start the rig up.  I then walk over to the front of the truck and press the opener for the bay doors.  I then walk back to my side of the truck and pull out the electric line before I climb in and look everything over.  Looks good, so I take my phone out and pull up the Active 911 app with the location of the fire.  I know where I'm going, but I still export the location to Waze for any last minute traffic advice.  As the rest of the crew gets in, I put my headset on and count the doors closed.*

'Everybody good?'

*I hear a positive response from three people before I hear my dad give the final word.  As we pull out of the station, I kick the lights on and then give the airhorn a few taps as we pull out onto the street.  I roll silent for a few more seconds before we turn again.  I give the Q pedal a hard tap to let it wind up pretty quickly and start the famous sound of a Q.  As we roll down, I glance down at my phone every few minutes to make sure that I'm going the right way.  It's not that I'm nor sure of myself, but I just wan to be sure since it's a pretty good ride.  I'm not really paying attention to the banter between the guys since its getting close to rush hour on a summer day and with all of the additional traffic, it's difficult to get around.  I pop into the opposite lane to get around a turn lane and I then pop back over into our lanes, once we've cleared the intersection.  I hear Dave clearing some intersections for me, and I really don't care all that much, but I'll take the extra help, no matter who its coming from.  I go to make a left turn so I get in the turn lane, but someone flies up from the right lane and then cuts over into the turn lane in front of me.*

'Asshole!'

*I start hitting the airhorn before my dad takes over and I start chasing the sirens.  My dad starts to pump the airhorn at a pretty steady rate, but I mean its not like the guy really has anywhere to go.  Finally, he turns and then we turn behind him, but he's still not getting over.*

'This piece of shit.'

*I pull up on the right and pass him that way since he was trying to hog the left so that I couldn't pass him.*

'That's D-W-D-A-R.  Driving while dumb as a rock.'

*The guys stare him down as we pass him and get on the interstate.  I listen to the plan, mainly to figure out what lines I'll need to charge.  Now that I have Miller, it should be easier to get a hydrant because we can lay-in much easier now that I've got someone back there.  I agree with the plan as I try to make a U-turn on Oxnard Center Road.  I've got to make it across two lanes of traffic, but the people aren't moving.  My dad goes back to pumping the airhorn, but that's not really making a difference.  He tells me to go and I hesitate for a minute before he says it a little louder, so we're going.  I try to hit the gas hard to accelerate without knocking anyone down in the back because I'm sure that someone doesn't have their seatbelts on, even though its a pet-peeve of mine.  As we get closer, I can see a header.*

'We got fire boys.'

Kyle LeBlanc

SCFD Volunteer, Station 7

Ex. Kimberly Volunteer Fire Department Member 730

#6 E. Hawke

E. Hawke

Deputy

• Patrol
  • 665 posts
  • Character Hometown:Skowhegan, Maine

Posted 20 June 2018 - 02:44 AM

*Having been back on patrol for a couple of hours I find myself on Oak Street in Oxnard as the Fire Department passes by me.  Seeing that they're being held up by a convertible Mustang from the 90's I follow them until the Engine finally gets pass the car and then I turn on my lights and sirens.  To me it had looked like the guy was in front of the engine far too long so while he was FD's problem a bit ago I'm now his problem.  As the Mustang pulls over into a parallel parking space on Oak Street I pull into the empty space behind him and key up my radio.*

"203 out on a traffic stop on Oak Street, Oxnard with a 1996 Mustang Convertible, 2 door, occupied by 1"

pd203dep.png

Deputy Evelyn Hawke

purpleheart.pngservice2.png

sar.png

#7 N. LeBlanc

N. LeBlanc

Not an asshole

• Commissioned Fire

• 3,585 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 03:14 AM

*Once I get finished with everything, I turn back to Dave.*

'All right, I got the intersections. You're good, Dave.'

*I start to help Kyle with the intersections and with the brain-dead drivers that we're facing as well. I shake my head at some of them and resist the urge to stare or flip them off before we get written up for that. Once we're on the interstate, I hear Dave ask what the plan is.*

'Same as before. You and Garbus are going to pull the 1 3/4". Start trying to protect that structure and go from there. I don't know if it's rolling yet, but if it is, that's why you're in the structural gear. Kyle, Miller, get a water supply and get me water to them. Miller, when we get there, you're going to rock the booster line. I'll take command and the hedges. Good?'

*I listen for a second before we get off the interstate. As Kyle is trying to clear Oak Street, I start pulling the cord for the airhorn. I'm getting a pull every second, but that's not stopping people. I see a gap coming that wouldn't be good enough normally, but with the big red truck, it's going to be.*

'Go.'

*When Kyle hesitates, I emphasize it a little more.*

'Let's GO!'

*He pulls out and the traffic slows down dramatically. Amazing how putting a big red truck in front of someone works to slow them down more than an airhorn. As we pull through Oxnard, I can see smoke rising and Kyle's comment about a header.*

'Yep. That's serious. If we need it, I'll call in Engine 15, but we should be good. Miller, Kyle, we're probably going to have to lay in, so take the dead load and we'll run with that. Miller, I want you to stay at the hydrant until Kyle has good pressure and flow. I hate to say it, but if not, you're stretching down the street with it. Look alive gentlemen. Leave the packs. We won't need 'em.'

*As we pull up, I key the mic.*

Me: "Engine 11, 911."

911: "Engine 11."

Me: "Engine 11's going to be in the area, we have a visible smoke header. This appears to be working fire. Engine 11 will advise."

*As we get closer, I adjust everything, including getting my extrication gloves out. I'm not going inside a burning building and I'm working the radio, so I should be fine. I leave them on my leg before I fish out my shoulder mic, release it from my radio strap under my coat, and clip it to the loop on the front of my coat. I snap my coat closed as we arrive on scene. I grab my helmet and open my door.*

"Let's go to work, boys."

*I take my headset off and hang it from the hook on the ceiling as I step down and key my portable.*

Me: "Engine 11, 911."

911: 'Go ahead."

Me: "Engine 11's going to be on scene at 122 Summer Road. Be advised, we have smoke showing. Engine 11 is assuming Summer Road Command. We will advise on additional units if necessary. Summer Road units will be operating on Fireground 2. Be advised, it appears that we have the Signal 40 present."

911: "1326."

*I watch the caller as I make a mental note of the time that they just gave out as I flip my radio over to the fire ground channel. I know that it's just my guys, but who knows. I reach up in the engine and I take my second portable out and turn it on. After it self tests, it goes to the dispatch channel, so I slide that into my radio pocket on my coat and then I clip the mic onto my storm flap of my coat. I look around for a second as I put my helmet on and then my gloves as the caller comes up to me since I guess it looks like I'm in charge because of the two radios I guess. She starts freaking out, so I try to calm her down as I try to do my 360 and help the rest of the guys.*

Posted Image

Posted Image

Engine 11

Posted ImagePosted Image

"You might be a firefighter if your entire wardrobe is t-shirts your friends gave you from their

-Unknown

"If Prometheus was worthy of the wrath of heaven for kindling the first fire upon earth, how

ought all the gods honor the men who make it their professional business to put it out?"

- John Godfrey Saxe

#8 A.garbus

A.garbus

Firefighter

• Engine
  • 102 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC
  • Character Hometown:Matthews, NC

Posted 20 June 2018 - 09:35 AM

* My plan to stay a little cool with today seems to have back fired when we see smoke showing from a distance. I unbuckle my seat belt and grab my bunker and pants. I quickly take off my TECGEN  gear and put on my bunker pants and then put on my hood and put my radio back on. after all of that i put my coat on and fasten it closed. I sit back down and I put on my SCBA. 

' So much for staying cool today'

e11ff.png

emt.pngsar.pnghazmat.png

Firefighter Aaron Garbus

Engine 11

Shiloh County Fire

"One day, you will be old, you will be frail, and you will be slow.

​Someone will ask you; "What did you do in your day? What did you do in your prime?

​When you were young and strong and fast?" You will tell them you were a fireman; and

​when the day is done, and the page is turned, that will be enough." FDNY Captain

“Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets,

nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle.

Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.” Heraclitus

#9 D.Valentine

D.Valentine

Firefighter

• Engine
  • 656 posts
  • Character Hometown:Seekonk,MA

Posted 20 June 2018 - 06:08 PM

'yeah,no kidding,not gonna need your air by the way bro' *i say as we move to climb outta the rig this time garbus beats me to the nozzle which i dont mind as i essentially hogged it last call so i just back him as he goes trading off with him as needed i havent even closed myself up as im hot enough as it is nor do i even have my helmet on or anything but the way it looks if i need it ill have timer to grab the rest of my shit* 'goddamn heat,hopefully we can wrap this shit up quickly' * i call to garbus as i switch my radio to the fireground channel*

e11ff.png

Firefighter Dave Valentine,SCFD

Engine 11

sar.png

#10 A.garbus

A.garbus

Firefighter

• Engine
  • 102 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 20 June 2018 - 11:11 PM

* I hope off the rig turn on my helmet camera and grab the nozzle*

'I know dave better have it and not need it then need it and not have it.'

* i stretch the line to the house and there as i sit down the line i turn my radio to the fireground channel. as i look at the fire i see that its really threatening the structure*

Me; Engine 11 crew to Engine 11

Engine 11: Go ahead

Me: charge the line.

*as soon i get water i bleed off the nozzle and my pattern. which i set to a 30* fog pattern. and i begin to fight fire*

e11ff.png

emt.pngsar.pnghazmat.png

Firefighter Aaron Garbus

Engine 11

Shiloh County Fire

​Someone will ask you; "What did you do in your day? What did you do in your prime?

​When you were young and strong and fast?" You will tell them you were a fireman; and

​when the day is done, and the page is turned, that will be enough." FDNY Captain

“Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets,

nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle.

Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.” Heraclitus

#11 K. LeBlanc

K. LeBlanc

Firefighter

• Banned

• 71 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 04:26 AM

*As we get closer, I turn to the guys.*

'Start finding hydrants, guys.'

*As we get about three houses down, I see that it's the closest one.  I already start pulling over as Nick tells Miller to catch the hydrant.  I watch him in the mirror as he pulls the dead load from the truck and then gets everything ready.  I see him standing there and he gives us the go ahead.  I hear it as well in my open window as I pull off toward the call.  I stop in front of the house as Nick takes charge.  I press the brake down and then I set the parking brake.  I shift down into pump and make sure that the shifter reads that we're in pump before I press the gas pedal down a bit to make sure that the RPMs go up.  I step down from the truck and I head back over to the pump panel.  As the guys pull the cross lay, I go ahead and pull tank recirculate lever before I pull the tank to pump.  As the guys pull the cross lay, I put my gloves on from my compartment before I walk back over to the rear of the engine.  I pull off the rest of the section before I walk it back over to the officer side of the truck and I hook it into the Stortz connection.  I walk back over to my side of the truck and I key the mic.*

"11 Engineer to 11 Miller, send the water."

*As the line fills, I go ahead and get ready to pull the tank fill, but I hear the guys call for water in the cross lay.  I pull the lever out to about 150 PSI and I wait for anyone to tell me if there is enough or to much pressure.*

"11 Engineer to 11 Garbus, you have water."

*I wait again as I watch my tank level and then I pull the tank fill lever.  I lock off all of my levers and then I wait to hear from the guys if I'll need to set up decon.*

Kyle LeBlanc

#12 C.Miller

C.Miller

Firefighter Paramedic

• Engine
  • 553 posts
  • Character Hometown:St. Louis

Posted 23 June 2018 - 07:51 PM

*As we going to the call we stop at the hydrant I hop out and pull the dead load and grab the hydrant bag as I wrap the hydrant and signal for them to lay in after they lay about two sections I unwrap it and test the hydrant after testing it I hook the hydrant and wait for the signal to send water*

11 Engineer to 11 Miller, send the water.

"11 Miller to 11 Engineer, water sent."

*After making sure Kyle is good I walk back up to the Engine and grab the booster line and pull it off*

"11 Miller to 11 Engineer charge the booster line."

*As the line gets charged I start attacking the fire.*

"%20alt=

"%20alt=

Paramedic Firefighter C Miller

Engine 11

#13 N. LeBlanc

N. LeBlanc

Not an asshole

• Commissioned Fire

• 3,585 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 05:43 PM

*I walk through the backyard after finally convincing the owner to stay up front with the guys as I head around to the back of the house.  There's a pretty good fire in the back, but nothing that we cannot handle, especially now that we have a water supply.  I walk around and key the mic on my coat as I head back to the truck to grab my tools.*

Me: "Summer Road Command, 911."

911: "Go ahead."

Me: "Summer Road Command to 911 and Summer Road units, be a advised.  There is a large volume of fire at the rear of this address.  There is a threat to two structures at this time: a two story residential and a shed.  Engine 11 should be able to handle at this time."

*I walk back up to the engine where I grab a brush rake and head to the back of the house with Miller.  As he opens up the booster line, he starts knocking down the fire in front of him.*

'Hit it back by the fence.  We'll knock it down from there.'

Posted Image

Posted Image

Engine 11

Posted ImagePosted Image

-Unknown

- John Godfrey Saxe

#14 A.garbus

A.garbus

Firefighter

• Engine
  • 102 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 28 June 2018 - 02:29 AM

* As i fight on the back of the house i start to notice fire is getting on the structure and i see the siding start to melt and one of the windiow is starting to burn a little. i redirect my hose stream to the structure to try and cool it down. As i do this i start my hose line advance on the strcuture and the grass and bushes.*

'I am not going interior if i dont have to *laughing*'

e11ff.png

emt.pngsar.pnghazmat.png

Firefighter Aaron Garbus

Engine 11

Shiloh County Fire

#15 N. LeBlanc

N. LeBlanc

Not an asshole

• Commissioned Fire

• 3,585 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 09:24 PM

*I look over and watch Garbus and Dave cooling the house.  It just became apparent that we need to change our attack.*

'Damnit.  Miller, shut it down.'

*As Miller shuts the line down and I point to a spot between the house and the fire.*

'Move it over there.'

*I key the mic as I walk over to Garbus and Dave since we can't see Kyle anymore around the house.*

"Summer Command to 11 Operator, we're going to need ten more feet of booster line."

*I let Kyle know so that he can pull it for us as I get to Garbus and Miller.*

'Screw the house.  I just get between it and knock it down from there.  If it gets to hot, I'll get Miller to hit the house with the booster line.  I need you guys to keep knocking it down.'

*As they get ready to hit that again, I cross their stream just before they open and I use the brush rake to try and pull some of the bushes and the shrubbery away.*

Posted Image

Posted Image

Engine 11

Posted ImagePosted Image

-Unknown

- John Godfrey Saxe

#16 A.garbus

A.garbus

Firefighter

• Engine
  • 102 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 10 July 2018 - 01:53 AM

"roger that Nick"

*I move our line to the fire front and begin to attack the fire directly and the fire starts to die off and get a little bit smaller*

e11ff.png

emt.pngsar.pnghazmat.png

Firefighter Aaron Garbus

Engine 11

Shiloh County Fire

#17 K. LeBlanc

K. LeBlanc

Firefighter

• Banned

• 71 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 09:05 PM

*As Miller sends me water with the hydrant, I watch as the line fills with water as I speed walk around the truck to the intake valve.  I let the air bleed off before I close the valve and I walk back over to the pump panel.  I make sure that the lines are good, and as Miller pulls the booster line, I help him by pulling the line as he runs around the building.  As he goes around the corner of the building, I keep pulling while I move to the corner of the house.  I give one last good pull, and then I head back to the pump panel.  I get him water in the booster line before I go ahead and start closing valves.  I close the tank to pump, then the tank circulate, then the tank fill, and then the tank circulate.  I adjust the pressures now that I have a hydrant and I lock the levers into place while I wait to hear from the guys.  Of course the homeowner is trying to go back to talk to the guys, but because all I can see is a decent amount of smoke back there, I'd like to keep her from going back there and getting in the way.  I try to keep her up front with us and try to keep her busy, but I can see that she's going to end up headed back to the yard.*

Kyle LeBlanc

#18 N. LeBlanc

N. LeBlanc

Not an asshole

• Commissioned Fire

• 3,585 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 10:12 PM

*Once the guys have knocked pretty much everything down, I use the brush rake to finish raking everything back.  Miller uses the booster reel to knock it down as I send Garbus and Dave back to the engine to rack the crosslay.  I finish pulling the dirt back and I let Miller knock the rest of it down as I keep tilling.  Once its done, I look up and nod to him.*

Me: "Summer Command, 911."

Me: "911, Engine 11's got the fire knocked down at this time.  Engine 11 will be packing up and will be available shortly."

*I walk back to the truck and I put the rake away before I put my helmet and my coat on my seat.  Then, I head to the guys and I start trying to help them put the hose back on the truck.  We get the supply line on since Garbus and Dave already got the crosslay done.  Once we're done, I walk over to the truck and I put my coat on the doghouse and my helmet on the dashboard.*

Me: "Summer Road Command to 911."

Me: "Summer Road Command, fire's out at this time.  Summer Road Command is terminated at this time.  Engine 11 is available, returning to quarters."

*I look back to the guys as everyone sits down.*

'We got everything?'

*I see nods and we head out.*

Posted Image

Posted Image

Engine 11

Posted ImagePosted Image

-Unknown

- John Godfrey Saxe

#19 E.Raven

E.Raven

Rescue Paramedic

• Administrators

• 356 posts
  • LocationYes
  • Character Hometown:School of hard knocks

Posted 15 August 2018 - 05:31 PM

Frank and I hear the call go out that the fire is out which is really disappointing because we were getting in the helicopter and we had been wanting to use the helicopter for months to use the helicopter on a veg fire. I sit and whine and cry a bunch before deciding that we are still going. "Copter-1 is still enroute. Be advised there is still fire somewhere" I say as I fly the helicopter to the scene. 

Frank and I hear the call go out that the fire is out which is really disappointing because we were getting in the helicopter and we had been wanting to use the helicopter for months to use the helicopter on a veg fire. I sit and whine and cry a bunch before deciding that we are still going. "Copter-1 is still enroute. Be advised there is still fire somewhere" I say as I fly the helicopter to the scene. 

Our department takes 1,120 calls every day. Do you know how many of the calls the public expects perfection on? 1,120. Nobody calls the fire department and says, 'Send me two dumb-ass firemen in a pickup truck.' In three minutes they want five brain-surgeon decathlon champions to come and solve all their problems.

#GEGFDMAFIA

PLEASE SUPPORT THE FIRE DEPARTMENT

PLEASE BUY A PANCAKE BREAKFAST TICKET

#20 F.Garcia

F.Garcia

Rescue Paramedic

• Administrators

• 64 posts
  • LocationHere
  • Character Hometown:Los Angeles

Posted 17 August 2018 - 07:40 AM

I grab the flare gun out. "GOT THIS BROTHER". and start launching flares off the side of the helicopter. Multiple fires ignite everywhere. "We've got this brothers! HERRROESSSS" i scream as the helicopter from underneath looks like continuous fireworks everywhere

#GEGFDMAFIA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users