14 replies to this topic

#1 Ashley Steele

Ashley Steele

Dispatcher

• Administrators
  • 6 posts
  • Character Hometown:Delmore

Posted 12 August 2019 - 06:07 AM

I get back to my console after running to the bathroom - in the span of the 2 minutes I was gone, the Sheriff's requested my EMS crew. I look over at Morgan, who I'm sure was the one who covered my active runs. 

'Hey, thanks Morgan.' 

I hear the tone for an incoming call over my headset; I just barely got the stupid thing back on. I answer on autopilot while I get my braincells in order. 

'911, where is your emergency?'

'Hello, this is Oxnard Alarm Monitoring, we're showing an activated fire alarm at Crescent Falls Junior High. Could you start the fire department to that location please.' 

Finally getting my head in order, I pull up my list of available fire units and answer the woman on the line

'I'm starting a unit over there, thank you.' 

I disconnect the call, probably the easiest kind to take. 

"Thirty-three-thirty-one, automatic alarm activation at Crescent Falls Junior High School. That's going to be at the corner of Priestley and Syracuse. No further." 

#2 K. Summers

K. Summers

Captain

• Members

• 7 posts
  • Location*banjos*
  • Character Hometown:Phoxlind

Posted 13 August 2019 - 08:08 AM

I snap up out of my bunk when I hear the alarm tones for our truck. The overhead lights come on and I step into my bunkers down by the foot of my bed. I start off into the bay, grabbing my coat and helmet - on the off chance anything does even happen. It's a pretty easy start to this part of the shift.

"Dispatch, 3331 is going to be responding."

#3 Katherine Baker

Katherine Baker

Firefighter

• Engine
  • 6 posts
  • Character Hometown:Kimberly

Posted 13 August 2019 - 08:30 AM

Having been in the bay when the alarm sounded thanks to an ever growing desire to really learn every last part of the truck I was assigned to, I slipped into my bunker pants and grab my coat and helmet before climbing into the truck before slipping my radio strap around me again and finding a seat next to the window behind the officer seat. Knowing the call was just for an automatic alarm made it seem just a tiny bit more relaxing, after all most of the time these were nothing, but always need to be prepared just in case. I slip the coat around me as I get settled in the seat, not bothering to close the coat yet.

#4 E.Raven

E.Raven

Rescue Paramedic

• EMS

• 371 posts
  • LocationEveryday bro
  • Character Hometown:Richmond

Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:10 PM

I slip into my trademark turnout pants and skull cap look, resembling a longshoreman more than a firefighter. I hop into the driver's seat and look over, "I'm Ewan, I'm your part time driver today." I say to whoever is in the officer's seat, I don't really know her, but given my part time position I don't really know anyone.

The battery and ignition go on as I wait for everyone to load up.

#5 D.Valentine

D.Valentine

Firefighter

• Ladder 1
  • 676 posts
  • Character Hometown:Seekonk,MA

Posted 14 August 2019 - 12:57 AM

*after extended time off and driving to the wrong station house i finally get into the rifght parking lot and before i even have a chance to go over the truck we get hit for an alarm not even really fully situated i hastily throw my gear on and climb in the back of the quint electing to remain silent as i shut my door*

Firefighter/EMT Dave Valentine, , Search and Rescue

Truck 7

sar.png

#6 F.Garcia

F.Garcia

Rescue Paramedic

• Inactive

• 81 posts
  • LocationHere
  • Character Hometown:Los Angeles

Posted 14 August 2019 - 05:30 AM

I walk out and put on my turnout pants and hop in the back.

#GEGFDMAFIA

#7 K. Summers

K. Summers

Captain

• Members

• 7 posts
  • Location*banjos*

Posted 14 August 2019 - 08:08 PM

'Hey Ewan, I'm Karen. Pleasure to have you on board today.'

It feels like my whole crew is slightly on edge this morning.. evening? Does it even still count as night? Working these kind of shifts always fucks with my sense of time. No one else says a word as we drive through the dark to the school. Seriously how likely is it to be legit.

'Alright, Garcia, Baker. You two grab your shit and see what zone it's in.. see if it's even warranted. Valentine, hang around outside with me.'

As I finish speaking we pull up on scene. Under my breath I add in a sarcastic comment or two before keying up my mic.

"Dispatch, 3331 is on scene."

#8 Katherine Baker

Katherine Baker

Firefighter

• Engine
  • 6 posts
  • Character Hometown:Kimberly

Posted 14 August 2019 - 08:49 PM

I remain silent for the ride, these calls were always garbage to go on...the time sucked. Even though I was awake for it I could easily have been sleeping instead, I sigh quietly to myself as we pull up to the school. Nothing was showing, like I ever expected anything else from a bullshit call like this. Still...there was always that little tiny chance.

'Got it Cap.'

I slip my arms through the SCBA straps just in case and tighten them to fit me. Even though I was pretty sure this was gonna end up being some bullshit alarm, safety should come first still. I close up the coat and and slip my helmet on letting my mask dangle from the SCBA, there was no need to use it unless we actually found smoke anyway. I then wait for Frank to be ready and head inside to find the alarm panel.

#9 E.Raven

E.Raven

Rescue Paramedic

• EMS

• 371 posts
  • LocationEveryday bro

Posted 14 August 2019 - 10:10 PM

I'll set you all up." I say as I pull in by the FDC. The crew is already getting out as I pull up, I set the parking brake, hit the aerial master and pump shift. I open all the equipment doors and start setting up the hydrant and connecting to the Siamese.

#10 D.Valentine

D.Valentine

Firefighter

• Ladder 1
  • 676 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 06:02 AM

*as we roll up i take note of where we are and i dont even see nor smell smoke nevertheless when told im holding back i step out doing my own survey  the captain the only person i recognize*

'so,you think this will be anything cap?' i ask as i see the others do what there gonna do*

Truck 7

sar.png

#11 F.Garcia

F.Garcia

Rescue Paramedic

• Inactive

• 81 posts
  • LocationHere
  • Character Hometown:Los Angeles

Posted 15 August 2019 - 06:39 AM

I get out. I open the door. I walk inside, see the alarm panel. It has the light flashing in the marked smoke pattern for zone 1 and the rest are clear. I check the zone map.

Great news, I'm standing in zone 1 but don't see any smoke. Fuck. I shine my light and notice the slightest bit of smoke. And it smells a little bit like something's kind of burning. Well. I hate my life.

I go over the radio.
"Firefighter 3 to Captain, smoke in zone 1. Very light. Slight smell of something burning. Can I get a ladder and some screwdrivers?"

I internally start dying knowing we have to pull all the vents off.

#GEGFDMAFIA

#12 K. Summers

K. Summers

Captain

• Members

• 7 posts
  • Location*banjos*

Posted 18 August 2019 - 01:08 AM

'Awesome thanks.' 

As Ewan steps out to get our connections set up, I'm pleased that I didn't have to tell him what to do, especially since he isn't a normal part of our crew. I step out, fully expecting this to be a false alarm. 

'I don't think so Dave, but I don't know yet.' 

As I'm saying this I hear Frank over the radio confirm the alarm and request equipment.

"Recieved, Firefighter 3. We'll be in with equipment." 

'Well, guess there's something to it. Valentine, go pull a ladder off, I'll get the toolkit. You need a hand with it?' 

I add another choice couple words under my breath as I help get equipment in to the crew. Being so light on people, at least, lets me be a part of the crew instead of strictly command. There's just not enough people to delegate everything to. It's probably the best part of being in one of the stations on the outskirts of the county.

#13 D.Valentine

D.Valentine

Firefighter

• Ladder 1
  • 676 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 02:40 AM

'nah i got it' * i dont even bother to wait for a reply as i move to the ladder compartment and retrieve the extension ladder  we keep on the truck its probably to much but id rather have it then not and need the extra reach* 'your gonna needa grab whatever doors we needa go through though' *removing the lader i wait for the cap to get the rest of the stuff and i start twoards the building letting her overtake me as needed*

Truck 7

sar.png

#14 K. Summers

K. Summers

Captain

• Members

• 7 posts
  • Location*banjos*

Posted 19 August 2019 - 03:29 AM

'Sure.' 

I grab our tool bag from its compartment and swing the - admittedly short - straps over the shoulder of my turnout gear. Whenever possible, I like to keep my hands free. I blink my eyes against the lingering tiredness from waking so suddenly. We make our way to zone 1 of the school, and I bite back my irritation at these damn fire doors. I know they're useful but right now they're just in my way.

As we're making our way over I can start to smell the faintest smell of burning; so faint if I didn't know better I'd think I was imagining it. I sigh heavily, knowing the amount of work it's going to be to check over everything to make sure nothing is missed. I'm annoyed but that is what we're here for. 

#15 E.Raven

E.Raven

Rescue Paramedic

• EMS

• 371 posts
  • LocationEveryday bro

Posted 20 August 2019 - 12:51 AM

I go ahead and ladder the roof with a ground ladder to get access to the AC units and get a vent fan ready.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users